Fence post to house?

Hi I have a fence post that will go up against my house

The old post was not concreted into the house but just screwed in.

The new fence is quite a big bigger.

It is 2.4m and 10cm b 10cm. It will be 1.8m above ground and 60cm below ground.

It seems silly not to screw this one against the wall as well

Question is how?

Will I need a screw that will go all the way through the post and into the house? so it will have to be maybe 15cm long, with a wall plug that is 5cm long

I have heard of hammer in fixings, but can i get one this big and are they as strong as traditional wall plug method?

I plan of putting in 3 screws, top, middle and bottom.

Reply to
mo

3x 6" screws sounds about right. Re wallplugs, just put 2 in the one hole. The screws can probably then be hammered in.

NT

Reply to
NT

You can always counterbore the hole, i.e. you don't need such a long screw, you drill a small (screw clearance size) hole right through the post and then a much bigger hole (bigger than the size of the screw's head) say half way through the post.

Reply to
tinnews

I am having difficulty visualizing a "fence" which is 60cm below ground. If you mean the "post", why put it below ground if it will be screwed to the wall? You could leave it a few cm above the ground so it does not rot so soon?

Reply to
neverwas

I meant part of the post will/could be below ground.

I am also putting in two other posts nearby so may just concrete in and nail this one to the house, or I may just cut it shorter and nail it in only.

Reply to
mo

Very very good idea and pretty much perfect.

Any tips on how big a screw you would use for a 10cm post ?

Reply to
mo

No point in concreting it in, extra work gor no benefit & it will rot. Just fix it to the wall, these work well with a suitable counterbore

The Medway Handyman

mo submitted this idea :

You wouldn't use screws, you would use Rawlbolts - 8 or 10mm. No need to counter-bore, just use threaded rod in the Rawlbolt, with a nut.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Look for frame fixings, which are designed to fix door and window frames e.g.

will probably need to counterbore, as they are not really designed for

100mm timber. AIUI the masonry hole should be the length of the threaded part. IME they are superior to screws in wall plugs.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"mo" wrote

If there is to be gate hung that will close against this post, I would concrete a post in independently rather than screwing it to the wall. This will stop the noise of a slamming gate being transmitted into the house fabric. Otherwise - what they said.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I had a similar situation. I used M6 screwed studding fixed into the wall by Rawl R-Kem cement. John Weale

Reply to
John Weale

I wouldnt counterbore myself, it just adds rot vulnerability and is more work.

How big? 6"

NT

Reply to
NT

Id make bloody great holes in the wall, and use coach bolts, with a 'rawlplug' made out of car body filler.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

like that?

How do you install them?

Do they work like normal wall plugs? i.e get bigger as the 'screw' goes in?

Reply to
mo

yes, theyre expanding anchors. You'd need to be in a high wind area to justify those though.

NT

Reply to
NT

mo brought next idea :

sort of idea, except I think in that version the threaded stud is fixed to the stud, made as one piece - fine if the thread is long enough. If not, get the type with a bolt rather than a stud and use some threaded rod plus a nut in place of the bolt.

These would work with threaded rod...

?ts=01677> How do you install them?

The way they work is....

You drill a suitable hole, push the Rawlbolt in the tighten it up. The process of tightening pulls the wedge shaped end into the sleeve section, causing the sleeve to expand in the deepest part of the hole.

In the type intended for a bolt, the wedge part is a threaded nut. Using these with threaded rod, you would insert the Rawlbolt in the hole with the supplied bolt, tighten the bolt up enough to wedge Rawbolt in place then remove the bolt to replace it with your threaded rod. Doing it that way your threaded rod can be whatever length you might need.

Do all three or four fixings first, then drill and fit your fence post over the protruding threads.

Yes, but a much bigger and stronger fixing. A wall plug and screw tends to expand most nearest the surface, whereas a Rawbolt's greatest expansion is in the deepest part of the hole.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield