Falling or fallen trees?

I've a good mind to phone this guy up and say, "If you can come round in the next two seconds, there's an oak tree falling into my garden."

Commander Kinsey

New York state does the same thing with road signs: "Watch for falling rocks."

Yup, look up, not at the road ahead where there might be FALLEN rocks....

-dan z-

Reply to
slate_leeper

The UK Highway Code shows the pictorial sign which it interprets as "Falling or Fallen Rocks".

Reply to
charles

This reminds me of the sign, Man opening Umbrella we all used to see.

It was supposed to depeict a person digging a pile of sand or something. Should I start a company to fit air bags to unsafe treees? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes but I;d have thought any drive would be watching the road to see if anyhting in front of him need avioding actual whether rocks that have fell or cars in front.

What people might not know is that rocks could still be falling.

Then again falling could be some sort of word do indicate the onset of autumn. ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

But you can't avoid falling rocks, so there's no point in telling you about them, unless you want to turn back and not drive along that road?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

But you can't avoid falling rocks, so there's no point in telling you about them, unless you want to turn back and not drive along that road?

P.S. despite him mentioning New York, you deleted the alt.home.repair group, so he won't see your reply. Doh!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

My cousin referred to it as "man wrestling with umbrella".

The woman who designed those admits it looked daft, on an episode of Top Gear. Margaret Calvert - she also pioneered using lower case Ariel font on road signs, making them so much easier to read than say French roadsigns which are still all in capitals.

Apologies for the video clip I'm post> This reminds me of the sign, Man opening Umbrella we all used to see. >

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes you can yuo can see they are falling and take another road or evasive action.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So I see this rock falling and taker the next right? Er....

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

taker any way you want. If the rock isn't falling then there's no hurry is there taker as long as you like.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Says the guy who makes 5 spelling mistakes per sentence.

If the rock isn't falling there's no need for the sign. If the rock is falling, you're too busy looking at the sign. Hint - our eyes pick up moving objects more easily than still ones.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've never seen a sign that says rock falling when there is no possibility of rocks falling.You corect I;ve never seen one in the supermarket have you seen a sign saying rocks falling in a supermarket ? Have you seen a sign saying beware or bears in your local supermarket. Have you seen a sign that says beware of the haggis. Now try thinking about why you haven't seen these signs.

Only if yuo're an idiot maybe that is the key point here.

How do eyes pick up objects, I use my hands to pick up objects which can include rocks.

Reply to
whisky-dave