EV Charging in the UK

This Tesla charging station is seldom used (it's up in the mountains where Teslas rarely dare to go, especially in winter)

so when Safeway is crowded, real cars park in the slots.

That's my Audi. It loves mountains and snow. We can make it from San Francisco to Truckee on one tank of gas, in a blizzard, with the heater and headlights on. With 4wd and snow tires, we just smile at the chain control checkpoint folks.

Reply to
John Larkin

Trump knows that mayor far better than the gormless Londoners who voted for him do.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

That looks like it's dead in the water.... How long before it gets trashed by vandals/water/dirt etc?.Madness and a trip hazard to all those who walk with a mobile welded to their ear... LOL

Reply to
TTman

The newly elected Liberal Democrat council in my London borough tried to introduce a scheme under which the cost of residents' street parking permits would quadruple to £400 for petrol cars, and quintuple for diesels, but fall to zero for electric cars. The idea being (so they said) to encourage people to dump their Dirty Diesels and switch to electric vehicles.

The imbeciles on the council had to be reminded that the only residents who needed street parking permits were those who had to park on the street, and such people couldn't have electric vehicles because it wouldn't be lawful to charge them at the kerbside.

Many other arguments were raised against the scheme, but that had to be one of the killers.

Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

San Francisco is governed by its Board of Stupidvisors.

Reply to
John Larkin

I can quite see why charging at the kerbside is, er, problematic (see my other posts), but what makes it illegal.

Joined up thinking? They've heard of it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

You'd have to run a cable across the pavement, perhaps for hundreds of yards, creating both a trip hazard and an electrical hazard. Maybe not a criminal offence (I don't know) but certainly exposing you to civil liability for injury. And not scaleable to dozens of electric cars in the same street, because of the resulting spaghetti.

Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

Yup it does seem like an odd design, not sure what it is supposed to achieve over the more traditional street side charging points.

Reply to
John Rumm

Liverpool pedestrians are going to do very well financially out of this. ;->

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

It is already possible in Liverpool, if you leave your house empty for a few days, to repurchase all your sockets, light switches and water taps from a local secondhand shop within a few days.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

What happens if someone else buys them first?

Or if you arrive back from your holiday and find that your Wandsworth Brass Collection have all been replaced with Screwfix Value?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

It's probably best to fit cheap secondhand ones in the first place!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

The title does actually say "Charging in the UK" and trailing mains cables carrying 230V across pavements is definately not allowed, from the trip hazard alone. In the UK we have a growing 'Compo culture' from a group collectively referred to (by supermarket and shops) as 'Slippers and trippers'

Reply to
Andrew

Of course, in the UK drivers of heavy vans or HGV's never park halfway up the pavement do they (shattering all the paving stones in the process) ?

Reply to
Andrew

Isn't that an improvement ?. Brass electrical outlets are so 1980's

Reply to
Andrew

don't forget "Off the Road Vehicles"

Reply to
charles

A cull of people who don't watch where they put their feet with every step. What sort of clueless halfwit installs trip hazards on a kerb?

The small pole thing looks more plausible although they will get very interesting when SUVs and delivery vans mount the kerb and smash them. You only have to look at the state of roadside bollards and smashed up paving slabs to see how it will end.

I wonder how well they will work after being crushed?

Reply to
Martin Brown

Just install giant induction loops under every street.

Or big lasers on lamp posts to beam power down onto cars.

Or - best idea so far - store electric power in liquid form so a car can stash a lot in a lightweight tank instead of heavy batteries.

Protons would work. We just need a way to stick them together.

Reply to
John Larkin

Electric trams with overhead wires are making a comeback. Manchester has an extensive network of them now.

Reply to
Martin Brown

We have a lot of electric public transportation here. It's very reliable and works well underground.

And we have cable cars! One giant electric motor powers the whole system. Cars going downhill donate their power to cars going uphill.

A cable car does have one lead-acid battery to run the lights.

Great fun, especially hanging on outside at night. The Hyde Street line is best.

Reply to
John Larkin