Euro locks - key blocking

Your sons door won't be "locked" in that instance though will it?

Reply to
Jimk

So why does anyone bother with multipoint locks ? Hmmmmmm......

Reply to
Jimk

horses for courses

If there's only one permanent occupant of the house, then there's no possibility of you leaving the key on the inside in the first place, so key lock on the inside works

OTOH, if there's a possibility of someone being in the house when other occupant is out, there MUST be a way of easily opening the door from the inside in case of fire - either a thumb wheel or easily accessible key, so ANO Burglar could use that as well

if you want 100% security when everyone is out of the house install a second lock, only accessible from the outside

tim

Reply to
tim...

But that's a severe risk in the (unlikely) event you're mistaken about the house being empty when you go out.

IMO one of the biggest common security risks in this country is letter slots in the door.

Reply to
Adam Funk

You don't use it every time you all go out

I only use my secondary deadlock when I am off for a (three week) holiday

and the pile of bags by the door is a clue that everybody has left the house

Reply to
tim...

FSV of "100%"...

Reply to
Jimk

Or get a Eurolock cylinder that works even with the key in the other side...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I see I was unclear in my upstream post: Cylinders can be bought either way. The more expensive ones can be changed over, though this may require knowledge and/or tools to contain tiny springybits, and/or small precision bits to exchange. (Disassembly tends to be much easier than assembly!)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

and you can often get a few "Ping -fuckits"

Reply to
charles

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, at 09:44:56 on Thu, 15 Oct 2020, Thomas Prufer snipped-for-privacy@mnet-online.de.invalid> remarked:

Won't DIY work of that kind invalidate the kitemark, and thus your home insurance?

I don't know what kind of certification a "locksmith" would need, to maintain the kitemark status.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Only if found out.

I'd be mildly surprised if many claims ever seen an assessor - let alone one qualified enough to inspect and report on the minutiae of locks.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The 'works even with a key in' cylinders don't seem to cost much more (or less).

Reply to
Bob Eager

But are they available at all in the higher security ratings (eg locks that cost ~£50 each).

Reply to
Roland Perry

changing a like for like type cylinder wont

putting in a less secure cylinder might

changing a cylinder in an open unlocked door is easily DIY-able.

It requires almost zero skills. Just knowledge of the "trick"

Reply to
tim...

subtle point

I should have said "unlock-able"

Reply to
tim...

In message <rm97ro$f9h$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 11:21:43 on Thu, 15 Oct

2020, tim... snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com remarked:

None of those sounds like "disassembly", with tiny springy bits.

Reply to
Roland Perry

That last bit is true for everything.

Reply to
Adam Funk

No I didn't get that comment, mine don't have any springy bits. The locking mechanism is encapsulated inside a standard fit cylinder and all you do is swap the cylinder

I had Euro locks at the last house

I have them in this one

Got a locksmith to change the first and having seen what he did was confident enough to change the one here

Reply to
tim...

I offer you a Corby trouser press to play with

Reply to
tim...

In message <rm9q8f$mpe$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 16:35:42 on Thu, 15 Oct

2020, tim... snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com remarked:

My experience with mobile phones is that working out how to non-destructively get the back off, is far harder than putting it back together again.

Reply to
Roland Perry