Entryphone Upgrade Question

I need a new entryphone. I've just taken the old handset off the wall and it had a 6 wire cable running to it from the street door. At the front door I need 3 buttons for 3 different flats.

I don't need video, or the need to be able to remotely open the street door - just a nice new 3 button panel for the street, and one new (super loud) handset for my flat.

Any suggestions? Do all entryphones use the same 6 wires? I'd like to avoid recabling if poss. Or can you just use a normal BT phone connected to the wires?

Thanks,

Fred.

Reply to
Fred Finisterre

Is it an 'Entryphone' or some other make?

If it is Entryphone then just ring them up and get a new panel. The older systems use 4 common wires L,P,B,3 and A is the call wire. newer systems can be run on a twisted pair cable. There are s*1t loads of makes, Fermax, Aiphone, BCT, Terraneo, Eagle, Challenger, Defender etc etc and there is little or no inter-compatability. HTH

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

On closer inspection, it's 'Techniphone' (it's 12+ years old). Anyone know what they might be inter-operable with?

Thanks,

Fred.

Reply to
Fred Finisterre

Most entryphones use 4 common wires (common, speech to door, speech from door, door release) and 1 individual call wire per flat.

Usually it's preferable if the common and sppech-to-door wires are the same twisted pair.

However each manufacturer labels its functions differently and may use different voltages. You need the handsets to be compatible with the sppech unit at the door.

deal with all the main makes.
if you have a "genuine" Entryphone(tm)

No, completely different system - BT phones are two-wire running on 50V DC with 75V AC ringing.

Owain

Reply to
Owain