Energy tariff variations around the UK

Exchanging details of energy quotes, with others via another forum, it became obvious that quotes for energy tariffs vary tremendously depending on your postcode, even for the same tariff with the same company. My postcode seems to be one of the very cheapest tariffs, but the variations are not entirely explained by the type of location.

Here is my present tariff for LS25 for dual fuel supply...

Supplier E.ON (E.ON Energy Solutions Ltd) Tariff name Fix Online v13 Tariff type Fixed price Payment method Fixed monthly Direct Debit

Electric Unit rate 14.396p per kWh Standing charge 17.325p per day

Gas Unit rate 3.069p per kWh Standing charge 17.850p per day

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> posted

Mine (Avro Simple and SuperSaver, outer London) is

Electricity Unit Rate pence per kWh 14.385p Standing Charge pence per day 19.950p

Gas Unit Rate pence per kWh 3.203p Standing Charge pence per day 19.950p

Reply to
The Marquis Saint Evremonde

I've always assumed that is based on which REC your location was historically in (pre privatisation, takeovers and mergers) and which power stations that REC owned ... perhaps originally that was intended to take into account transmission costs, hence local generators were cheaper? Of course the links between region and customer are pretty well smashed now.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Utility Point 12 month fix "Just Up 18 Wk27" South Leics (historically EMGAS/EMEB)

Elec 11.538p/kWh standing charge 10.499/day

Gas 2.888/kWh standing charge 10.499/day

all prices +VAT

Reply to
Andy Burns

method

On a related note, how come a packet of biscuits is the same price at any Sainsburys, but a litre of fuel depends on where you are ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

method

Up to V13 already? I checked about a month ago and it was V8. Checked again a week or so later and it was V10 (and much more expensive). That's when I decided to jump ship.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I suspect they're more expensive in a Sainsbury's Local.

Reply to
Andy Burns

:-)

Distance from the refinery? Round here it is distance from the nearest Tesco discounter.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Bob Eager explained on 26/03/2019 :

I have only just moved to V13, which was quite a bit cheaper than their Online 1 Year v20 which I signed up for this November past.

I had used a bit less over the winter than projected, so my dd was £100 in credit, so now with V13 plus the credit, my dd has been reduced by

1/3rd.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Here at RH2 in Surrey I'm with Scottish Power Fixed Till August 2019 Dual Fuel

Electric: 13.864p per kWh Standing charge 18.27p per day

Gas: 3.176p per kWh Standing charge 18.27p per day

Reply to
TOJ

Local authorities pre 1947 owned generation assets but the electricity boards and their successors in the privatisation (the REC's) in England and Wales have never owned generation assets, Scotland was always vertically integrated pre and post privatisation. (two companies North of Scotland Hydro & South of Scotland Electricity)

--

Reply to
The Other Mike

Current supply pricing, or at least the non social, non renewables propping up element is based on the cost of generation (fuel + transmission entry capacity charges per MW) plus transmission and distribution use of system charges (to cover regulated return on asset value) The latter varying around the individual regions, based generally on the areas covered by the old REC's With the sharing of those use of system charges being based on the peak winter demand

But that is simplifying it enormously

Each 'REC' or its regional successor will have documents online for their distribution use of system charges

For the use of the transmission system these documents cover it

TNUoS in 10 Minutes

TNUoS Tariffs in 10 minutes
Actual Charges are here Final TNUoS Tariffs for 2018-19 - Report

--

Reply to
The Other Mike

So why aren't all products priced variably to allow for "distance from wherever" ?

Seems to me it's something that we've just "accepted" and never questioned (well, I have, and have never heard a valid reason).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I've been with Bulb for a while and am very happy with their pricing and policies. If anyone is thinking of moving to them I can post a link that will give us both £25 when you switch!

Reply to
nothanks

Jethro_uk expressed precisely :

Exactly, and my reason for posting this thread!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I get a bit miffed as I am all electric, but some who get both and from the same company get cheaper electricity than I can get. This seems to indicate to me that the costing are not based on anything to do with the cost of production but some strange algorithm that maximises profits from a customer without chasing them away. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Brian Gaff laid this down on his screen :

I can understand dual being a little cheaper, because the paperwork and overheads are reduced.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Then they're not giving you the cheapest deal possible...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I agree that is the obvious conclusion but I can't find a better price so perhaps they're investing (I have no idea whether that's the case) ...

Reply to
nothanks

Fuel prices are determined by cost and competition. The objective of the oil companies is to maximise profit. Then cost of product does vary according to the supply arrangements.

Reply to
Michael Chare