escutcheon installation (around pipes)

I have to install escutcheons around the 1/2" copper pipes for my toilet and sink, and also around the shower arm. I expected these escutcheons to hold tight to the pipe but I discovered that they are actually loose and slide around easily. What is the usual way of installing the escutcheon? Do I put caulk behind it to hold it to the wall? Put caulk around its edge to hold it to the wall? Or is there some different procedure that is appropriate?

Reply to
Adrian Mariano

if the proper escutcheons were purchased they should be a hand press fit....if you got 1/2 iron pipe escutcheons they will be way loose....

------------------- Chris Perdue

GROWING OLDER IS MANDATORY. GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL LAUGHING AT YOURSELF IS THERAPEUTIC!

Reply to
Chris Perdue

I don't recall when I bought the escutcheons that I had a choice between iron pipe and copper pipe, but in the case of the shower arm the escutcheon came with the shower arm so Grohe evidently thinks it's the right part. And it's definitely quite loose.

Reply to
Adrian Mariano

those plates are merely for decorationg not to hold the pipe solid. If you have excess movement in the pipes you need to get into the walss and put some pipe clamps in there attached to the framing of the walls.

Reply to
Randd01

Yes, but the escutcheon will do a much better job of being decorative if it stays near the wall than if it falls down onto the top of the shower head. It's either got to cling to the pipe somehow or it's got to be stuck to the wall. For escutcheons that go around the 1/2" copper pipe everything seems to be in order. They friction fit to the pipe. But the one that goes on the shower arm is loose. No way is it going to stay without some silicone or other help.

Reply to
Adrian Mariano