Energy Prices

But why? Why should prices be different in different parts of the country? (Yes, I know there are some reasons but given that the old age pension is the same everywhere why shouldn't the energy price cap be the same everywhere?)

Reply to
Chris Green

Different distribution charges in northern Scotland compared with London?

The cap is designed under the pretence that there's a free market and it's just preventing egregious supplier behaviour, so the way the cap is set matches the cost base. Nowadays it's just a command economy and the few percent difference are neither here nor there when the government is dictating the price everyone pays.

(by the same logic, would you demand that a pint in your local to be the same price everywhere?)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

No, they are the current rates, for a reasonable approximation of the prices from october just add 6.5%

We all could, but joe public doesn't know a kilowatt from a kilowatt-hour, hence ofcom's dumbed-down "typical" costs.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It is. No matter where I stand at the bar the price is the same.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

williamwright snipped-for-privacy@f2s.com wrote

Not when you stand behind the bar and pour it for yourself.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I had to learn that last night when i put my spreadsheet together. I had to make the following adjustments:

"Metric Conversion" , "Volume Correction", "Calorific Conversion", "kWH Conversion".

The first three are multipliers, the last a divisor (as I'm sure you know).

Still didn't agree with my gas bill, mainly because I was using the electric meter readings!

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

I think the problem may be most journalists skipped maths and physics to sneak off to the pub, and have no idea about any of this..

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

Yes, but in some establishments it was cheaper in the "bar" than the "lounge".

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

No, but if the government had set a maximum price for a pint then I

*would* expect it to be the same everywhere. I.e. I might find a pint cheaper in some places but it would never cost more than the maximum.
Reply to
Chris Green

When I stated drinking the saloon bar price used to be around 2d more expensive than the public bar price :) In many of the pubs the poor standard of furniture and facilities in both bars was identical.

One pub we used had a short lived policy of jacket and tie for the saloon bar resulting in that bar being empty and the public bar packed out - a manager with no understanding of his local customer base.

Reply to
alan_m

The problem with that type of policy is all prices tend to drift up to the maximum.

Reply to
alan_m

Er, yes! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Probably Head Office policy.

Reply to
charles

I'm sure the breweries would love a beer price cap, phrased in terms of an average drinker's consumption ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

But the government has NOT set a maximum price for a kWh of electricity or gas. The system was designed for protecting customers who never bothered looking for better tariffs than the default variable ones, while not removing suppliers' choices. They set a maximum for the combination of an average electricity consumption, an average gas consumption and both standing charges. Within that suppliers could set their own unit costs and standing charges. The same system remains in place, but the cap has been adjusted.

Reply to
SteveW

Yes, and that maximum is surely the same for the whole country is it not?

Reply to
Chris Green

Over my drinking years I've see a few pubs try and go up-market and lost all their trade as a result. As for the FAD of theme pubs, what may work as a one off in London does not necessarily work when potato printed in the rest of the country.

Reply to
alan_m

No, there are regional variations, although only a few pounds:

were more proportionately significant in 'normal times':
Northern Scotland paying 7% more for electricity that London but among the cheapest for gas)

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Yes, but the standing charge and per unit cost will vary. That means that except for someone exactly matching that average, they may pay more or less than someone somewhere else or with a different company.

Reply to
SteveW

Not just pubs. I have a cousin who managed a hotel in the far north of Scotland. It was bought by a Blackpool based company. They had to have the 'corporate' flower arrangement in reception! How?

Reply to
charles