Elgar style bike handebars change

I have a 2nd hand drop handlebar (woman's) bike from ebay for wife who can't ride it becuase (yes) it has drop handlebars! Not quite so stupid as it sounds as wife had accident a few years back and finds it much easier to "step" on/off with this (large) wheel size. (She had such a bike before but it got stolen). My intention was to get some oldie "Elgar" style handlebars and fit them in place of the drop ones. Of course the brake cables etc will have to be sorted/replace too. But can I find some suitable handlebars - can I heck. Any ideas? I've tried the local tip and scrap yard only old has cars. Ebay shows nothing yet. If I do find some, is it just the down shaft diameter I have to check for same-size?

Also, any gotchas regarding the replacement of cable brakes appreciated.

Reply to
dave

=================================== Worth a call?:

Cicero

Last handlebar change I had to do "bought" the bars from a friend (30 mumble years ago). Regarding brake and gear cables only sort of gotcha is to check if the inners should be lubricated or not.

You do realise the "down shaft" wont change, the actual handlebar does NOT include the stem portion.

To be honest, any you could find in a scrappies, recycling centre etc may well have been bent and then straightened again and so have no strength personaly I wouldn't risk that and buy new Here is a picture of what a replacement handlebar will consist of (note no vertical bit) and gives some ide of the price don't know where you live but this is an Edinburgh shop but it will (I think) do mail order

may well get a longer/better answer from uk.rec.cycling . Sheldon Brown
seems to be the go to guy/site for all matters cycle related . SB himself died a couple of months ago but his site(s) are still up.

Reply to
soup

================================== If that's what is meant by 'Elgar' style handlebars then most bike shops will stock a selection, although I think the more common description is 'sit up and beg'. There's a reasonable selection here:

local shop would be better as they will measure the old bar for fit in the clamp.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 14:00:50 GMT, Cicero wrote: Many thanks for the replies & helpful info. - will be checking thse links later.

Reply to
dave

The beauty of drop handlebars is that there are least three positions on them!

I assume you mean it has an open frame.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ever seen the bikes in Amsterdam - really old and very strange upright seating position.

Reply to
John

Yes - I used to live there!

Reply to
dave

Reply to
John

Pink with baskets on to carry the shopping?

Reply to
PCPaul

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "John" saying something like:

Flat. Comfort. Short journeys and hard arses.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon