Bike lock (bike stolen)

After falling prey to some scum bag and suffering a loss of my much loved bicycle, I've decided to do some research into locks.

The bicycle had a D lock with a round key which is aparantly crap, and a chain lock with a padlock type lock connecting it. I left the bike 3/4 mins came back it was gone in a very busy place, I guess no one cares or people with there busy lives just walk on by.

The advice I'm after is what kind of lock(s) would be best for me ?

I've had a bit of a knock confidence wise even buying a new bike, but I have and just wanting to make sure it doesn't happen again. Although I know it can if the theif wants it they will get it, I just want to create enought of a deterrent to make them think too much hassle.

Reply to
Dubber

How heavy was the chain, and was the bike attached to anything?

After getting a bike nicked, the police recommended a fat chain to me. Which is what I now have - stout chain + stout padlock.

However, probably worth trying this question on uk.rec.cycling or uk.rec.cycling.moderated (I reckon the latter will be more likely to get you sensible answers).

Reply to
Clive George

Was this one

> The advice I'm after is what kind of lock(s) would be best for me ? >>

Ahh didn;t know it existed! thanks

Reply to
Dubber

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dubber" saying something like:

Only one make successfully resists attack for very long - Almax. All the others are shit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Crikey, you're right - look at the videos on

£150 Abus Thatcham Approved blah blah Chain, cropped with simple bolt-cutters in 25 seconds.
Reply to
Steve Walker

I notice that the chain they are selling is much harder. Does that mean its brittle and can be shattered with a heavy blow or two?

Reply to
dennis

It's one reason why I don't use expensive bikes. I have 2. One is semi-decent and the other is one which no one in their right mind will steal. It looks tatty but functions as well as any other bike.

Reply to
Fredxx

Or maybe they'd steal it to use because they think it's tatty and won't get stolen by someone else :-)

Reply to
Jules

I've now got a Dahon folder - allegedly no one steals them! Back in Twickenham I looked out my first floor office window to see some low-life cutting through my bike lock: when I opened the window and shouted at him he told me to mind my own business - fortunately he ran off when confronted leaving the bike. It was only a cheap Chinese-made one bought off eBay for £90 or so. Where do they end up?

Reply to
Tony Bryer

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Seconded - but they're not cheap

You might find someone hacksawing through your rear wheel just to steal the chain

Reply to
geoff

In message , "dennis@home" writes

No dennis, they are virtually indestructible

Reply to
geoff

WTF is that all about? Granted he used a big FO pair of croppers, but surely the video is meant to demonstrate that the product survives for a minimum 5 mins?

Anywho, an angle grinder would have taken that out in half the time.

I removed the wire rope type lock from an adandoned bike in around 3 seconds with my trusty angle grinder a few weeks ago.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You and your angle grinder. The next thing we'll know is that you lubricate it with WD40! ;)

Reply to
Clot

Of course he doesn't - WD40 is not a lubricant...! (ducks)

Reply to
Bob Eager

I so don't think so

The links are thicker than dennis

Don't forget, one doesn't usually park a bike close to a mains socket, an Almax chain would tell a battery angle grinder to f*ck off and play elsewhere

Reply to
geoff

It didn't tell those bolt croppers to f*ck off did it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Sigh. The list gets longer every day. Come the revolution....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Keep flies off cows

If flies are tormenting your cows, just spray some WD-40 on the cows. Flies hate the smell and they'll stay clear. Take care not to spray any WD-40 in the cows' eyes.

Readers Digest website )

michael adams

michael adams

He's now a unit of measurement? Is there a picoDennis for really really small stuff?

Reply to
Jules

Err yes it did IIRC

Reply to