Bike lock (bike stolen)

The 'Granite' video is presented by a bird who claims its Thatcham Approved

5 Minute Tested & the geezer bolt cropped it in 25 seconds. £135? Bugger that.

Angle grinder would have taken it out in half the time. Send me one, I'll video it & post it on Youtube.

What I don't understand is why Almax have a video claiming their product withstands attack for 5 mins, then shows it being shagged in 25 seconds.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dave, you`ve been watching the wrong videos, all the other ones cut, the Almax is case hardened and won`t bolt cropper at all.

Buried in the blurb is how some other chains claim longer grinder resistance by being full hardened, which will slow grinding down, by a few seconds....

Grinding is noisy but apparently unbeatable, no one has any replies to grinder threat in container thread.

As mentioned hard becomes brittle, especially when chilled, presumably hence ductile core and case hardening with Almax

2 big guys and a side loading van will have anything away and the general public really dosen`t want to be involved.

Round key locks can suffer from picking by impressioning, check youtube.

Almax might just have made a couple more sales though.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Nothing is unbeatable when it comes down to it. Kevlar threads held in a nonsetting gunk sandwiched between the skins would give an angle grinder something to think about though. In bars, a free to rotate hardened roller slows them down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Case hardening isn't going to stop bolt cutters is it? The core would deform and the case hardening just shear. Maybe they harden the core and anneal it then fully harden the exterior?

Well you could have hollow links filled with dye to deter cutting.

Shh don't tell geoff he still thinks what I said was wrong, lets leave him that way.

That's true, if you can't crop the chain you can chop what its fastened to.

If you have time one of those flexible wire tile saws should cut through an almax with virtual silence. Wrap it around, saw through the case hardening, crop with bolt cutters. I wonder how long it would take?

Reply to
dennis

That was before the invention of super glue.

Reply to
dennis

Aren't these designed for motorbikes? I'd have thought they would be impractical to carry on a bicycle.

I take the pragmatic approach to locking my bike. Pick a good spot to lock it and always lock it to a fixed object. If you have a nice bike paint it a vile shade of pink to make it less attractive to theives. Sheldon brown recommends using two different types of locks since they would require different tools to break.

I use a single D lock, but I don't have a desirable bike.

Reply to
Mark

Super glue isn't that effective on metal and relies on fairly inimate contact between the surfaces. Give the roller 1mm clearance and I doubt super glue you have much effect.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Diamond disk goes straight through, as it's not as clog-prone as grit disks were. Nor is aramid (Kevlar) anything particularly magic.

A tougher bar for angle grinder resistance is scaff pipe filled with concrete, where the aggregate is particularly hard. The traditional material from safe manufacture was to use old tungsten carbide lathe tooling inserts.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I don't carry my big lock when commuting, I have two and leave one at each end.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ah! That's what all those chains left locked to nothing but the post are at stations. The lock at the other end! Thanks, it's always worried me. R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

The problem is: the more light-weight the bike is the more expensive it is so the bigger, and heavier, the chain that is recommended. Which rather goes against the principle of having a light-weight bike in the first place.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

In article , michael adams Tue, 3 Nov 2009 09:30:19 writes

Relieve arthritis symptoms For occasional joint pain or arthritis symptoms in the knees or other areas of the body, advocates swear by spraying WD-40 on the affected area and massaging it in, saying it provides temporary relief and makes movement easier. For severe, persistent pain, consult a health care professional.

Reply to
Les Desser

The "All bikes weigh 40 lbs" view

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , "dennis@home" writes

Tried whacking mine with a 4lb hammer today, just for you

about as useful as your geographical knowledge ...

Long enough

Reply to
geoff

I don't understand your skepticism. I would have expected that to be reasonably effective. Of course, massaging the affected area without WD40 would also work (unlike magnets/copper bands/etc)

Reply to
Martin Bonner

In article , Martin Bonner Thu, 5 Nov 2009 05:06:47 writes

Aha! It must be the ability of WD40 to penetrate stiff joints rather than its lubrication properties - as I understand from here WD40 is not a lubricant.

Reply to
Les Desser