How can I expand a link in a steel chain to pass bike lock through?

I've bought a 1m length of chain to secure my bicycle in the garage, as the standard bike coil cable lock isn't long enough. How can I expand the end links to accommodate the bike lock? The diameter of the bike lock end piece (which clicks into the actual lock) is 17mm. The chain has links with the following dimensions:

Length: 52mm Width: 12mm Internal diameter across centre: 10.6mm Link material: Mild steel 5mm dia.

An example lock is show here:

I want to pass the small yellow end through the chain.

Thanks.

MM

Reply to
MM

Hammer a tapered spike through there while it's red hot.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Compress the last link of the chain in a vice, so that the '0' becomes more like an 'o'. or Hammer a cold chisel of appropriate dimensions into the last link, to achieve the same result.

But whether either will expand the width of the link enough to allow the end piece of your cable lock to pass through, rather depends on the total perimeter length of that link.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Get a couple of custom links the right size welded onto the chain ends. Buy a chain more suited to your lock or lock more suited to your chain!

Reply to
Martin Brown
<snip>

These are the things a 10 tonne hydraulic press are good for. ;-)

Or that, given a suitable holder on the nose of your press to retain the 'spike'. ;-)

I hate all that 'hammering' stuff, not just the noise (tinnitus [1]) but the lack of control (compared with a hydraulic, even over a 'fly' ... press) .

I'd guess he'd have that bit figured. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] Talking of that. We have just been to a local cafe and it seems many people have forgotten about their 'indoor voice' these days?

We can often hear other peoples conversations from potentially anywhere in the Cafe and I know 100% they wouldn't be able to hear ours?

Ok, if whoever you were with was hard of hearing I 'get' you might have to talk louder for them to here but it's then just an escalation of noise as everyone shouts to be heard and the chances are the hard-of-hearing person understands even less. ;-(

Reply to
T i m

Or find a different chain carefully measuring it before you pay the money! I would imagine that besides the risk of getting burned, you may considerably weaken the chain by forcing it to be wider than it is now. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Buy a padlock, snap it shut on the end of the chain, then throw away the key. voila! TW

Reply to
TimW

There was no other chain available.

MM

Reply to
MM

There were no other suitable chains available from the half-dozen in the shop. I'm not about to buy an anchor chain from a ship's chandler just to get my bike lock through!

MM

Reply to
MM

Now THAT is a f... brilliant idea! Thanks. Best answer so far.

MM

Reply to
MM

Padlocks are very insecure. Making a ring of rebar & welding is also an option if you have the kit.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Easier to get a decent carabineer and weld it shut or do the same with a bow shackle.

Swer

Or file down the padlock until it's narrow enough to go through the link. It would still be stronger than the little extra padlock, and probably more secure than the little padlock with its easily obtainable key.

Reply to
Dave W

Crikey, it's only a bicycle! This is only intended as a deterrent. Of course a determined thief will come equipped with bolt cutters, but this is to deter random passersby if they happen to glance into the open garage while I'm in the kitchen indoors.

MM

Reply to
MM

If you have a decent bench vice, put the end link lengthways between the jaws and squeeze it.

Reply to
newshound

You don't more than a pair of scisors to open a padlock. Deterrent yes, but not much more.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Hammer a cold chisel through it when it is cold, that's what I did. Works ok.

Reply to
Andrew