Electric vehicles

Once the scroats have nicked some fibre and then been larfed at by the scrappy they'll no longer bother.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Which simply forces more people to make the city centre commute!

Reply to
Steve Walker

A charge on mileage does not /need/ any new technology or tracking. GPS can be offered as just one among other options. It's up and running now in Oregon.

And - unlike anything involving smart meters built into cars - road charging can be (a) applied to cars already sold which will be in use for years to come and (b) updated without a massive recall/refit.

Reply to
Robin

Thanks for that. The last point about the system not needing retrofitting is an important one I think.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

All scum are lower order by definition, including trump.

Reply to
Andy Bennet

Unless you use ANPR, with all the privacy issues I mentioned, something would need to be retrofitted.

Reply to
nightjar

That need seems to have escaped Oregon.

And in any event a telematics recorder is rather easier to fit than a smart meter integrated with the car's charging circuits. Already in common use by insurance companies, fleet managers et al.

Reply to
Robin

I still think you?re over-complicating this. Taxation doesn?t need continuous mileage monitoring, it could be paid monthly or even annually based on milometer readings.

Yes, some people would undoubtably fiddle the system but most wouldn?t, especially if draconian fines were brought in for ?mileage correction? as they call ?clocking? these days. Random spot checks on mileage would also help to deter folk.

Tim

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You really utterly clueless. Any place incapable of employing or training its own local expertise is unlikely to be able to manage the treatment of whatever is diagnosed.

Reply to
Andrew

None of which is necessary, just a means of cutting support costs.

Reply to
Andrew

We'll see...

They arent incapable, they choose to use the cheaper remote service or find it impossible to get those qualified to check xrays everywhere that needs to be done.

Even sillier than your previous and that?s saying something.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

More utterly mindless silly stuff. We used to have full time staff at the local TV transmitter and telephone exchange. Now they reconfigure on faults and can swap out the failed stuff when that is convenient with far fewer staff.

The mobile bases never had full time staff at each one for some reason.

Its still work, just done differently.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

On 19/04/2021 12:14, Tim+ wrote: ...

A system that would require a small army of people to read the odometers and another small army to collect the revenue. Whereas road fuel duty, is collected automatically at the point of sale.

To go back to where this started, I didn't say that taxing electricity use in vehicles was something I expected to happen, simply that it would be wrong to think it couldn't be done. Expert opinion is that road pricing will replace road fuel duty and that it will most likely involve GPS units in every vehicle. ANPR is a possibility, but is vulnerable to number plate cloning. Either way, it will raise serious privacy issues and still need a reliable way to collect the revenue.

Reply to
nightjar

No, you could just plug into a local terminal (or even use Bluetooth)

Reply to
charles

My partner had an MRI a few years ago. The scan was sent to a chap in Australia for analysis. There were insufficient qualified MRI interpretation experts in the UK so they sent them wherever necessary.

Who knows if the UK could manage treatment? The MRI did not lead to a diagnosis.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

yep. after one year MOT, get certificate of mileage. new car tax includes mileage tax.

Naturally only honest citizens pay,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Exactly. ,

Faced with a huge trip to Aberdeen and an overnight stay we persuaded the customer to accept 'remote installation' the computer and modem went up on a on overnight courier, and I asked him to plug it into a DDI extension.

Once I had given it an IP address on his network, it gaily phoned home and picked up email and I told him how to connect his pcs to its POP server and SMTP to UUCP relay.

Before the internet that was - or at least before people were prepared to pay for it.

was on the phone less than an hour and then we communicated by email. compared with a day return plane to Aberdeen....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There's no revenue from a fixed asset like a house.

Reply to
bert

Indeed not. It needs maintenance and you probably pay council tax on it.

Reply to
charles

I've not followed this thread all the way, but why not simply have two meters at home, one for the domestic stuff and the other for the car charger? With 'smart' meters becoming widely used, that would be easy enough to set up and be billed for by the supplier and paid by the home owner in the usual way. Apologies if this has already been suggested, but it seems to me to be a fairly simple solution.

Reply to
Chris Hogg