Post Frame Construction questions (Cost)

My main question is... how much is this going to cost me.

Guesstimate would be ok. I don't want to go and get permits or buy plans if this is something completely out of my budget. Here's the details.

I live in a residential neighborhood. Toledo, Ohio. I have a large backyard. Enough to accommodate a 60' x 80' barn decently, with yard still left over.

The concrete slab that this pole barn will sit on will probably be up in the air for right now. I've heard it will cost an arm and a leg to pour a concrete slab for the barn.

It will be two story. Bottom floor, storage. Car's, tools, etc. There will be an enclosed loft in the upper level. 40' x 40' loft. It will be an apartment that can be rented out or used. So, heating and cooling will be necessary.

I have a quote for the actual frame of the building for around $20,000. I've added another $10,000 on to that for the finishing of the place. Drywall, carpet, cabinets, shower, paint, etc.

$30,000 total so far.

Costs that I'm not sure about...

  • Permits and plans
  • Hookups for the utilities (Electric, Water)
  • Foundation work (Will I need any if I don't choose concrete? If I do choose concrete, how much extra will it add on?)

And since this is going to be residential in the upper part, the loft, will I expect any set backs like more fee's or different construction? Let me know if this will be possible for the cost that I'm thinking it will be! Thanks

David

Reply to
David

Conventional stick built?

Totally unrealisitc. that requires a 60 x 80 Roof? You want a finished

40x40 apartment? Who will frame this size building (two story!) for $20K? Hell, the wood alone is more than that! You'll need a foundation, whether it is a slab (with footings) or whatever. You are not going to sit this on the ground!

If you have living space in this barn, you'll need to meet residential code. If you part vehicles in the lower floor (or have a provision that allows vehicles in it) then the lower floor will have to be sheet rocked (or otherwise fireproofed to meet code).

I'd *GUESS* your cost estimate above is off by about 100K to 150K.

But, then again that is a WAG, so you may be able to get by for less.

Reply to
PeterD

You will not only disrupt building codes but zoning codes. A pole barn will need drilling for the poles used as foundation. More than likely if you need a building permit you will have to engage either an architect / engineer or both. My guess would be $500,000 or more. You still have to add heating/cooling, plumbing, water supply, electricity in the apartment area and other utilities that might be wanted in the storage area.

Good luck.

CID...

Reply to
Chuck

I do have quotes, that a few different company's will set up a complete pole barn -- minus sheetrock (drywall), insulation, foundation, electrical, etc. The actual 80' x 60' building. Two story's, for around $25,000.

So, I just don't see where another $125k would go in to. I am realizing that it may be more towards $50,000 for what I need. But any more advice would help!

Reply to
David

Let me give you a comparison. My current project is a 800 sf room addition on an existing house. It is a game room and has its own HVAC system. No bathroom, no kitchen, just a room with a small wet bar and a few cabinets. Cost; $100,000.00

Your area is 4800 sf with 2400 of that finished for living quarters. That is 3 times the area of my current job, plus the sundries involved in the 2400 sf of the unfinished half.

Reply to
Robert Allison

$500K! That's even more than I thought! But... I bet you are closer to the actual cost than I am...

Reply to
PeterD

I'd love to see one of those quotes! Materials alone will be more than

25K!

You are asking advise, which is good. But when you ask for advise, a wise man will accept that advise. This will be one very expensive project, large, and there will be many (for you) hidden costs that will crop up as you go along.

Consider this. I'm just finishing up a 30 x 60 garage/shop. Nothing special. Your building is 2.5+ times larger than mine in dimension, has two stories vs mine with one. When done, I'll have about $50 to $60 invested in materials. I've not computed labor costs, but figure they double the cost of any project.

BTW, you described your site as 'residential'. You *must* talk to your local building inspector before going any further to make sure what you plan can be done on your property. Too often I see projects started, materials ordered, contracts signed, only to find that the local authorties won't allow the project as originally planned. Talk to your building inspector, get his (her) advise.

Reply to
PeterD

Let me give YOU a comparison. My 30x40 post frame construction building (1200 sq ft). With slab and radiant heat in the floor came to $18000. That's permitted and built in less than 48 hours. Your 100,000 job is just a fine example of people having more dollars than sense.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Wow, that must be a fine building. We have been working on this project for about 3 months now. We are waiting on the granite countertops and the wood floors to be completed and we will be done. I have completed a few building projects in less than 48 hours, but they have all been minor repairs.

Perhaps you are not in the construction business to make money?

That is all I have done for the last 35 years. I am usually the middle bid on a three bid job. Which is where I want to be. The high bid on this job was 125,000 and the low bid was

98,000. Perhaps you have lower costs in your area. Perhaps you don't pay for labor.

I have a friend that lives in Mexico (Ciudad Montes) that has been carrying materials back from here for years. He built his home for less than 5,000.00. 3 bedroom, 2 story, with a huge living room, huge kitchen, huge covered patio, all used materials. It took him 5 years to build.

I am not saying that the OP couldn't do the job for what he thinks he can, but I couldn't do it for that. And I will bet that he can't either. Wanna put some money on it? If he would be willing to show his receipts, I will put some money down that says he can't.

Reply to
Robert Allison

All I am saying, is I know it costs no where near $500,000 to build a simple pole barn.

is a fine example of one of the many company's that will take your exact quote ( free quote ), of the sizes, dimensions, etc, and give you a quote back. They do not build it for you, as pole barns require NO architect or engineer. Simple plans to put together a pole barn. It does help to have some builders, but a few good guy's can put a pole barn up in the matter of days.

How many of you know that I am talking about Pole Barns? Look into what a pole barn is and know it doesn't take a very much money, or effort to put one up.

Hansen Pole Building provides ALL materials for the pole barn. No electrical, plumbing, hvac, etc. But the wood, the siding, the roof, the doors, windows. Etc. And the size I quoted, for $30,000. I completely agree, that a HOUSE, or even a garage, will cost quite near $100,000 if done right. Or maybe $500,000 for a house.

Thanks for the input though. I did take some advice practically though. I defiantly took it with a grain of salt.

David

Reply to
David

In that case, the best of luck to you. Please advise us of your progress!

Reply to
PeterD