Electra AWM900A washing machine - heater element broken ?

Hi All

This washing machine has behaved itself for quite a few years - probably 7 or so - and in that time has only required a new water pump (last year).

Today it's started delivering clothes that appear to be clean, but cold !

The thermostat on the front of the unit is set to 60C - although rotating it you get the switching 'clunk' back at 20-ish ....

The water in the drum does not appear to heat up - and checking with a current clamp meter on the 'tails' going into the Consumer Unit does not show the expected big surge in current when the 'stat is operated while the machine is in a fill-heat stage of the wash cycle.

I'm guessing heater element failed ...?

...but some sites on the web seemed to suggest that a failed heater would cause the machine to 'hang' during its wash cycle (waiting.... waiting ... for the water to come up to temperature) - and this does not happen in this case - the washer happily runs through its cycle.

Is this because the machine is so low-tech that it bumbles happily on

- unaware that the heater isn't functioning - or does it suggest a different fault. I realise that 5 minutes with the back off and a multimeter will tell me if the heater is open-circuit - but just wondering about other possibilities....

Suppose the $64k question is 'Is it worth repairing' - or should I simply shell out for a new one ??

Suggestions please ??

Thanks Adrian Suffolk UK

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall
"

Its a machine made by servis meloni it would stick on cycle with a o/c heater.

Reply to
Peter