EICR , smoke alarms and rented flats

On 25/11/2018 22:06, Tim Lamb wrote:

And the power LED on the smokes is lit?
I forgot to connect a customers smokes up to the MCB. I got a call 3 months later. All the batteries were flat.
--
Adam

Er... I didn't know there was one!

Right. Sounds likely.

--
Tim Lamb

On 26/11/2018 18:30, Tim Lamb wrote:

Go hand have a look then:-)
Normally a green LED next to the words "Mains power" or similar on the detectors.
--
Adam

Right. Steady green. Flashing red similar intensity. I don't have the destructions.

--
Tim Lamb

On 27/11/2018 17:38, Tim Lamb wrote:

On many alarms the red flashes every minute or so to indicate it's working OK. Flashing _rapidly_ also indicates it's working OK - and that it's detected the signs of a fire ;)

Nor even the brand of the alarms?
--
Robin
On 27/11/2018 17:46, Robin wrote:

Or a photo if you get stuck.
--
Adam

On 27/11/2018 17:38, Tim Lamb wrote:

Just a stupid question.
This is not a new build is it?
The alarms could have been installed for some time before mains power was supplied and drained the batteries.
--
Adam

Re-furb with new wiring and alarms so quite possible. Sparkly may be coming in Thursday so I can ask.

--
Tim Lamb

On Sunday, 25 November 2018 21:44:03 UTC, ARW wrote:

Exactly a quid from a quid shop, but I'm not sure I'd trust my life to them .
Messrs CPC's GP High Power Alkaline are £9.51/10
Ultralife Lithium Manganese 10 year shelf life are £6.75 *each*
Plus the VAT, of course.
Owain
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 02:07:01 -0800, spuorgelgoog wrote:

Given that they do Duracell Industrial ones for £9.95/10 (as above, plus VAT), I think I'd go for those. The GP ones are OK, but the Duracells seem a lot better.
(that price is to be found in most of their 'brochures', including the Bulk Bargains one. Find these online if CPC don't send them to you. The part number is the same but with a time limited two digit suffix.
On 26/11/2018 10:34, Bob Eager wrote:

+1, I have never been that impressed with GP batteries.

Yup, there is normally a special offer available on batteries...
--
Cheers,

John.
In article <17e85ec3-fb70-4141-bd28-5b09617242e6

Kodak alkaline from Poundland - 10 year shelf life.
--

Terry

Do you do much cooking?
--
Robin
On Sunday, 25 November 2018 19:05:36 UTC, Robin wrote:

Fairly frequent cooking here.
NT
On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 10:11:49 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Well I have come across a battery powered ionisation alarm originally positioned just outside a kitchen door which had been relocated by the occupant to a bread bin inside the kitchen to shut it up but that oddity aside neither optical nor ionisation alarms are suitable for kitchens no matter how much fiddling with position to find pockets of unmoving air one does.
Current guidance is in BS 5588 11990, Fire precautions in the design, construction and use of buildings. BS EN 14604 covers Smoke alarm devices.
A simple summary is (in England and Wales) Building Regulations Document B (Volume 1).
Building Regulations Document B requires a minimum of Grade D Category LD3 – Mains powered interlinked alarms with an integral back-up power supply.
This covers new builds, materially altered dwellings, loft conversations and certain building extensions for standard dwellings.
All dwellings should be provided with an alarm system to at least Grade D, Category LD3 means the installation of mains powered alarms with an integral back-up power supply within the escape routes of the property (i.e. hallways and landings). In addition, the Regulations require a heat alarm to be installed in any kitchen areas where the kitchen is not separated from the circulation space or stairway by a door.
Approved Document B (Fire safety) – Volume 1: Dwelling houses (2006 edition incorporating the 2010 and 2013 amendments) is the simplest summary (and free) at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/485420/BR_PDF_AD_B1_2013.pdf
This requires " Positioning of smoke and heat alarms 1.10 Detailed guidance on the design and installation of fire detection and alarm systems in dwelling houses is given in BS 5839-6:2004. However, the following guidance is appropriate to most common situations. 1.11 Smoke alarms should normally be positioned in the circulation spaces between sleeping spaces and places where fires are most likely to start (e.g. kitchens and living rooms) to pick up smoke in the early stages of a fire. 1.12 There should be at least one smoke alarm on every storey of a dwellinghouse. 1.13 Where the kitchen area is not separated from the stairway or circulation space by a door, there should be a compatible interlinked heat detector or heat alarm in the kitchen, in addition to whatever smoke alarms are needed in the circulation space(s)."
The use of optical or ionisation detectors in kitchens is deprecated.
On Monday, 26 November 2018 12:45:39 UTC, Peter Parry wrote:

And putting alarms in pockets of unmoving air means they'll be slower to activate.
Owain
On Monday, 26 November 2018 12:45:39 UTC, Peter Parry wrote:

lol. Keep telling me what I've done doesn't work then, despite reality. Won't be the first time.
NT

The only reality is that you are talking bollocks.
--
Adam

On Tuesday, 27 November 2018 20:49:53 UTC, ARW wrote:

whoosh
I don't think he said they are. Often it depends on the construction of the building. Some blocks are designed so any fire in one flat is isolated by the doors and windows of that build. IE what should have happened at Grenville but was cocked up by the refurbishers. Brian
--
----- --