EICR , smoke alarms and rented flats

And putting alarms in pockets of unmoving air means they'll be slower to activate.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog
<snip>

I went with NiMH because I got only 2 years or so with the branded Alkalines they came with. This was with what are now dated alarms (Kidde x23 series) so it may be newer ones would do better.

The problem I see is that many of the mains alarms with rechargeable lithium batteries I've looked at[1] are presented as good for 10 years _but_ are only guaranteed for 5 or 6 years. And the rechargeable lithium battery is not user replaceable. The only ones I've seen with a

10 year guarantee - the Kidde SWFR - are more expensive. And still exclude failure due to inadequate electrical power, which seems to me to leave them an easy out if the battery fails within 10 years. But I'm open to pointers to any I've missed. [1] mostly at TLC:
Robin

And the power LED on the smokes is lit?

I forgot to connect a customers smokes up to the MCB. I got a call 3 months later. All the batteries were flat.

Reply to
ARW

Er... I didn't know there was one!

Right. Sounds likely.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Go hand have a look then:-)

Normally a green LED next to the words "Mains power" or similar on the detectors.

Reply to
ARW

Fairly frequent cooking here.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

we mostly don't live in bungalows.

Reply to
tabbypurr

High level of false alarms primarily. Which occur because people don't install them in a way that suits that detector type. AFAIK no manufacturer has ever explained to its customers how to make them work sensibly. Not the first time a good idea got ruined by stupidity.

In fairness while my method works great for battery detectors, it adds work for mains ones. No pro installer wants that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Your quote is consistent with what I said. Both ionisation & optical are quicker than each other on some things slower on some. Overall ionisation wins, it detects before there's even any smoke.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

no detector type gets them all early enough in every case. Battery alarms have long been mostly ionisation, and we know the issue with battery power.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

lol. Keep telling me what I've done doesn't work then, despite reality. Won't be the first time.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

My Aicos (I have 5) came with comprehensive instructions (which I mostly read, then stuck them in the exact centre of the room because that looked neater).

One of them ended up a bit close to a beam, but that's because that's where the cable ran out.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Right. Steady green. Flashing red similar intensity. I don't have the destructions.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On many alarms the red flashes every minute or so to indicate it's working OK. Flashing _rapidly_ also indicates it's working OK - and that it's detected the signs of a fire ;)

Nor even the brand of the alarms?

Reply to
Robin

Or a photo if you get stuck.

Reply to
ARW

Professional installers fit a heat detector in the kitchen.

Reply to
ARW

Just a stupid question.

This is not a new build is it?

The alarms could have been installed for some time before mains power was supplied and drained the batteries.

Reply to
ARW

The only reality is that you are talking bollocks.

Reply to
ARW

You really do talk some bollocks.

Reply to
ARW

Re-furb with new wiring and alarms so quite possible. Sparkly may be coming in Thursday so I can ask.

Reply to
Tim Lamb