OK, I am in disagreement with a friend and would like your feedback.
At 3:00 this morning, a battery was dying in my smoke alarm and started
chirping. It makes my little dog shake like crazy. So, I had to go to
the garage, get the tall ladder, and remove the battery.
My friend said to just flip the switch at the fuse box and that will
take care of the chirping noise until I get up to put in a new battery.
If the battery is there to backup the smoke alarm during a power outage,
why would shutting off the switch in the fuse box keep the battery from
*Shutting off the power can make the smoke alarm chirp because of that.
I've replaced a few smoke alarms for customers that even when the battery is
removed they continue to chirp because they store a small amount of
electricity. Pressing the test button drains any remaining power.
First of all if the alarm unit is more than 7 years old, replacing it is
better idea. I just did that, all our units are replaced with dual
sensing ones(smoke, flame=temp.) and they are all hard wired in daisy
chain with back up batteries. If it is chirping better find out why ASAP.
It just seems that way because that's usually the coldest time of the day.
While the battery may have enough "oomph" to keep from chirping during the
day, when it gets "cold soaked" at night the voltage drops enough to let the
chirping begin. That's why I try to replace detector batteries when DST
begins because that's the beginning of winter weather and smoke detector
"chirping" season. I can get up to three years on a single 9V battery, but
I usually replace them after a year and move the batteries to other devices
like remote controls, meters, etc. that wouldn't be life threatening if the
battery suddenly dies.
I even keep those batteries if they show more than 7 volts because I snap
all the almost dead ones together to make dog trainers. (-: I connect a
piece of zip cord to 6 or 7 batteries and leave it where the dogs can chew
on the wire. Once they get a mouth zap of 50 volts or so from chewing on
the "trainer" they rarely show any interest in any other wires afterwards.
There's never enough current flow to do permanent harm, but enough to make
sure that they don't go chewing on wires again. It worked on all the dogs
we've rescued except for one that liked to chew on AAA batteries, even with
the wire trainer experience under her belt.
On 1/18/2011 6:58 PM, hr(bob) firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Hey, hi. My remodeling has all gone as planned, and I am super pleased
I have one inside project left, and I really need to do my homework on
that. I have Silestone quartz countertops, and I want to change my
kitchen cabinets from bleached oak to a cinnamon oak. Therefore, the
only thing I can do due to the type of counter top I have is to get
them refaced. I know three families, in towns far away from me,
who had this done and they are beautiful.
I live in a small area, so I need to find a quality business who can do
this for me.
I hope all is well in your little corner of the world.
And, thanks for asking.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.