Egg Slice

I have broken my egg slice so went on to Amazon to find a replacement. All it turned up was those small devices for slicing eggs to go in sandwiches. I got on the their chat service and it seems what I should have been searching for is a "Fish Slice Slotted Turner Spoon Nylon Cooking Spatula Non-Stick Burger Flipper Fried Egg Turner Heat Resistant Bpa Free Kitchen Utensils for Cooking, Draining & Frying" Oh well, I'll know next time.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

That's because everyone calls it a fish slice or turner.

Reply to
Max Demian

That's what I'd expect ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Really?

Jeff Gaines

I recall it being called an egg slice ( many) years ago.

I have a favourite style, an American friend introduced me to it and (even though they are made in France) the only place I’ve ever seen them available is CostCo in the US.

Reply to
Brian

you should have known the first time

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Agreed. I have never, ever heard of an egg-slice. Fried eggs are usually removed from the pan using what is always termed a fish-slice. That's the term I grew up with, friends from Nottingham use, friends from London use, friends and colleagues from Wales use, my son's friends from Yorkshire use and friends and family from Ireland use.

A spatula could be used, but it'd just be known as a spatula.

Reply to
SteveW

I don't.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I think that could be painful with hot fat :-)

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Perhaps a generational thing, was always called an egg slice when I was growing up.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines snipped-for-privacy@outlook.com writes

I use the one my son made in metal work at school , he's coming up to

  1. You could have made your own, then you wouldn't need to know what it was called. ;-) This is uk.d-i-y after all.

You could make a wooden one or one from ptfe sheet if you're worried about scratching the frying pan.

Brian

Reply to
brian

Does metalwork still exist as a subject anywhere anymore?

I remember making a fish slice and a single candle holder. Must have been other stuff but long forgotten and lost.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The only thing my daughter gives me (she's about the same age as your son) is bills she can't afford to pay.

I watched the video but they're a fiver in Amazon (now I've found them) and the kit used in the video must have cost hundred is not thousands.

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Just runs off the tongue, that one.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

why would you want to slice an egg ?

Reply to
jim.gm4dhj

Or a fish?

Reply to
Jeff Gaines

Matchbox holder, toasting fork and flour scoop.

Reply to
Clive Arthur

good point well made ...

Reply to