egg crate door replacement

I have a very light weight thin 35mm bathroom door and I have my eye on a white moulded panel door from B&Q for £40 ... I need some high level light into the top hall so I was thinking of cutting out the two top panels and was wondering how I could fit a couple of glass panels ?...any suggestions

Jim GM4DHJ ...

just knew it was a bad idea posting a DIY question...tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Probably easier to buy the glazed version. If you cut out the panels, you would need to add internal support between the outer panels, around the holes you cut.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Not a chance in hell :)

The only solid bits of wood will be around the edge and a thicker bit to fit a handle and lock.

You may be able to cut out the top panels and insert a wooden frame around the holes (inside of the two door skins).

For privacy use a frosted or embossed glass. Possibly better to use a frosted acrylic panel which would be lighter.

When you add the cost of the extra materials to modify the door you may find it cheaper to buy something ready made with windows

alan_m

That is not a real panel door as such - just another eggbox with a thin fibreboard outer.

So you would have to cut out cleanly, clear the cardboard from the inside, and then glue some real wood into the edges to rejoin the two sides. Then you could apply beadings, and mount a glazing unit or whatever...

Reply to
John Rumm

no such thing as far as I can see.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I know....

going to give it a try....got the door today £30 so if I bodge it who cares....and as we were carrying the door out of B&Q a chap in a transit van offered to take us and the door home....which he did...not many nice people like him arround....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

because I just want glazing at the top only

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

and £95 is too expensive

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Don't even try. Buy the pre-glazed full or half light version and stick some of the obscuring film over the lower 2/3rd of the glass panels.

Reply to
Andrew

It's £115 in wickes. Think of the saving.

Reply to
Andrew

But 6-panel white doors are £34 at B&Q.

It's not impossible to cut out the top 2 squares and then make good the sides of the holes with some 32mm bits of tile batten and then add some quadrant moulding each side of two squares of glass. Matching up the fake grain would be tricky but it;s above eyeline anyway

I have cut down a similar 2-panel door from 2'6" to make a 2' door for the cupboard over the stairs.

Reply to
Andrew

Remember to note which side has the extra bit of wood for the lock. There will be an arrow or marker on the top of the door, so that you don't put the hinges on the wrong side.

Reply to
Andrew

Jim GM4DHJ ... formulated the question :

That would be almost impossible, whilst they are solid cored, they are just compressed wood, held together by the outer skin.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

going to try

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

my static van has white panel doors like this but they are 2 foot

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

indeed thanks for the reminder

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

stuff that

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I paid around £12 each for those very same, 6 panel doors from Travis Perkins three years ago. Not sure whether they might have been on special, but worth checking there.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

not enough

Reply to