Making garage doors...

Anyone have any information, or know of any resources, for making garage doors? I mean, it can't be rocket science...and the prices I'm getting quoted are outrageous...so I think I want to try to make my own. Any suggestions (other than don't do it ;-) or experience appreciated.

Reply to
Austin Franklin

on a related note, I just got back from HD where they do NOT carry any of the hardware used for pivoting wood garage doors. After finding an oil stain on my project from the garage door opener dripping, I tried this morning to pick up the locking handle and side locks. All they carry is stuff for sectional doors.

No one in our area buys wooden doors any longer. They get metal sectionals, usually with windows, and insulation, esp if facing west or south.

dave

Aust> Anyone have any information, or know of any resources, for making garage

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

snip

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

On 17 Nov 2003, Bay Area Dave blathered unto rec.woodworking:

Gesundheit.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

You might not, but I am ;-) I do not want metal doors. These are custom doors, and have special requirements. I do not want to pay $6k each for < $1k or material. I also don't believe they will be that difficult...but obviously, I will find out.

It's funny how many people I know who will make the most elaborate piece of furniture you can imagine, but want nothing to do with a garage door...for some reason people believe garage doors are difficult, and I just don't believe they are.

Reply to
Austin Franklin

Well, I grew up with sagging, rotten, sprung wooden doors. So forgive me if I don't get excited about it. I do think they look better and even more so if you HAVE to meet an odd sized opening. It would neat if you could find some Paulownia cheap; it is super light, doesn't swell/shrink after drying, very stable wood. They are hard to owrk with by virtue of their size alone. One man usually can't hanle one door with making it twist resulting in a sprung door. I like something I can oick up and move by myself. Look at Sweet's online- they have some doors in there that will knock your eyes out.

Lawrence A. Ramsey

This has been discussed quite a few times. The general answer is DON'T. Too much work for too little savings, plus putzing with the springs is dangerous.

Reply to
Leon

Well, I've never done it, but if you are talking about making a sectional door it's just a series of frame and panel sections. Sort of like long narrow cabinet doors laid on their sides. The hardware to join the section is pretty much standard and readily available.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Bill Ranck responds:

But what about all the hardware you need--rails, rollers, roller holders, similar stuff. All adds to the price of the door materials.

I think if I were doing it, I'd build a door similar to one on the first garage I recall, one where my father and I played catch when I was maybe 10-11. That was a double swinging door, with windows. Almost certain to be cheaper than the roll-up door, and easier to construct, with or without windows.

Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hum. $4k-$6k per door for $1k worth of material somehow doesn't seem like insignificant savings, especially when I have to make four. I am simply making the door sections, putting them up is an entirely other subject, whether I make them or not.

OK, so it's been discussed...has anyone here actually tried to MAKE a garage door?

Regards,

Austin

Reply to
Austin Franklin

That's my understanding as well... Frame, with a routed top/bottom for middle sections (no route on the top of the top section, and no route on the bottom of the bottom section ;-), to mate up with the above/below panel, and not let weather in and help with panel alignment...plus each vertical frame piece gets mortise/tennon into the top/bottom frame pieces...and at least one middle vertical. There's obviously covering on the inside and outside, and insulation in be middle. The outside covering should be more substantial than the inside...and the hardware gets mounted to the solid portion... Not rocket science, which is why I think this is simply no big deal to make them. After the frame sections are done, simply add the cedar trim I want and voila, garage door sections. I plan on mounting the bolts before putting on the outer covering so they are blind.

This is basically the garage door I am talking about making:

is a glass section, which I'll make out of two pieces of thermopane (one each side).

Regards,

Austin

Reply to
Austin Franklin

The doors are 10' wide by 10' tall, and sealing a double door like you're suggesting from the weather might be near impossible. But, I like those doors, but I think it's impractical for my needs.

Regards,

Austin

Reply to
Austin Franklin

If it's a standard door, like a 7x9, go buy a good one and install it yourself. We got a Clopay, fully insulated and covered for under $350. I couldn't argue with the price. And it wasn't hard to install.

If it's a special size you may want to make your own. I made my own 9

1/2 x 12 foot bi-fold doors. Works for me.
Reply to
Mark

--------------------------------------

There's nothing wrong with making your own sectional garage doors but I don't think your door would compete in price with the ones on the market. I am assuming that you have researched the doors and now know how to make them, including safety features such as the one that won't allow the door to come down on an obstacle and the springs are adjusted properly without injuring someone. All of the door harware including door openers and tracks is readily available. Insert "Sectional garage door hardware" into Google and you will see.

Good luck Bill

Reply to
Bill Orr

Depends on how they are built. I need a garage door that is 6'0" x

6'8". Go to your local garage door company and all they got is 8' wide stuff. OK, I got an 8'0" x 8'6" door and they can't even supply that one. All the one company did is add another panel, but this can't be done with a metal door because the complete door is packed in a box.

So, I plan on building my own. Only I will use mortice and tenon joints. Copying my wood garage doors should be easy.

-- Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

  • * * Build a DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03

  • * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
  • * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
  • * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
  • * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
  • * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
  • * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
  • * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
Reply to
Joe "Woody" Woodpecker

You're an asshole afraid of springs. I have an 16'0' x 8'6" door and have loosened the spring several times and re-tightened it. Nobody ever told me they were dangerous. I guess around those that don't know how they work they are lie a bomb.

Here is what you need to do when you build your doors.

Make each section in an assembly line type production. Cut all styles, rails and panels at one time. I plan on putting my panels behind a 3/8" beading. I'll first cut this side of the rail and then cut the other side with the 1/2" x 1/2" rabbit with a tapper somewhat. Then I'll hand cut the style's tenons that were made on my TS so they fit the rails. Then assembly os saw horses where the entire door is assembled.

See if you can get a door installer to install your door with the remaining hardware needed. If not, install the door rails an equal distance from the opening by using the door as a guide. Make sure it is perfect up and down. You can leave the rails unattached at the ceiling until you get the door installed. Put the end pieces on the lower corners of the bottom section and put the rollers in. Build the door with sections by adding rollers and sections. Install the spring assembly above the door with the springs in. Now attach the end of the ceiling rails so they are perpendicular to the wall and parallel with each other.

Now to wind the spring. Draw a chalk line across the spring. Using two long bars, wind the spring so it has the same number of white strips on it as the height of your door. Lock the spring tight and it should be about right. Also you'll have to have the door weighed be a door installer , wherever you get the spring.

-- Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

  • * * Build a DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03

  • * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
  • * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
  • * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
  • * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
  • * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
  • * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
  • * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
Reply to
Joe "Woody" Woodpecker

Nice design. Save the jigs when you are finished. I may want to build one too! :)

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

Woody pecks out, one last time (my filters slipped):

So the other guy is an asshole because you're too stupid to know danger when it stares at you.

Goombye aperture.

Charlie Self "I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be." Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Charlie Self

Austin,

Questions that come to mind: What size are the doors going to be? What kind of special requirements do you have? Are you thinking about making sections & using standard overhead garage door hardware or one-piece doors w/ standard one-piece hardware?

The type of hardware you are going to use would be the most determining factor of how you make the door slabs or sections and the size (especially width) & the weight of the doors would be the second factor.

Doordoc

Doordoc