egg crate door replacement

thought this was a diy news group? .....come on

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

a good buy

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Or of course arrange it so an LED light can be on the door side you want. Obviously the vulnerable bit will be the wiring at the hinge. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

You have been complaining about neighbours bodging DIY and yet you are about to try the same yourself.

Reply to
alan_m

One of his 3W LED bulbs permanently left on in the hall will cost him approximately £5.50 per year so the payback time for the minimal light from his £30 door plus perhaps another £30 for the wood, beading, glass and putty is around 10 years.

My upstairs hallway would possibly be a bit dark if it wasn't for two above door windows - but those windows are possibly 16x+ the area proposed by removing two small panels from one door.

Reply to
alan_m

there are bodges and there are bodges.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

got an led movement triggered light at the moment

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Or remove the door (and frame) completely. 100% light transmission.

Reply to
Andrew

Very possible with an egg-box door, but the new openings would need reinforcing with lengths of tile batten just thick enough to be bashed inside the door and glued in place plus mitred mouldings to hold the glass so that the profile of the mouldings matched the other 'raised' panels. Tricky but not impossible.

Reply to
Andrew

funny man

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

that is the plan...but will the plan go to plan

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

WT actual F?? This from the man who pisses crap all over the group on a regular basis.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Which is basically the same tat that Jim linked to... A real panel door would make it easier and give a nicer result, but those are possibly not at a price compatible with the more erm, "parsimonious" :-)

Depends on where you eye are - it would be right in front of mine!

Yup I made a bunch of cupboard doors for my loft conversion by hacking up a few flat eggbox doors - easy enough if you cut new edges and plane them the right thickness.

Reply to
John Rumm

My wife has a big sewing table made from a whole hardboard-faced eggbox door, hinged to the wall with a couple of triangular legs, that folds down flat against the wall. Both light and rigid (although her sewing machines are on normal kitchen worktop).

Reply to
newshound

The raised panels are just straight bevels - so easy enough with a circular saw.

Reply to
John Rumm

that is not very nice ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

no

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

yes I'm cheap ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

cool usage

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I'm obviously what this group needs ...some throught provoking subjects be they diy or other.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...