Eco grants for heating and insulation

You only qualify for the free central heating if your household income is below a certain level (17k pa IIRC) and/or you are on certain benefits. They will ask for evidence but I have to say we didn't have to provide any bank statements nor our NI or NHS numbers. I would check with the council as to which methods of evidence are acceptable, they'll have a list.

You will also only qualify if you have 250mm of insulation in your attic. We have cavity wall insulation as well but I can't remember if that was a requirement.

I would recommend that you re-consider and do some further research; It is so much better having central heating than storage heaters but I would, as I have said before, retain some of your storage heaters as a back-up. With gas prices rising they 'may' become cheaper than central heating in the future and it is always a good idea to have two or more methods of keeping house warm. We are going to re-instate or living room's open fire for next Winter.

Some have said that, ultimately, we all pay for these freebies indirectly and that's true; However, over the years we have benfitted from free loft insulation, free cavity wall insulation and now free, albeit partial, central heating and we are well pleased.

- Mike

BTW you don't have your reader's line length set.

60 to 80 characters recommended. 12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
Reply to
invalid unparseable

Storage heaters and gas central heating only provide partial backup, as both fail if the electricity goes off.

We have gas central heating and hot water (a tank). On failure of the boiler or pump, we have an immersion and can plug in the electric heaters that are normally (occasionally) used in the shed and garage.

On loss of electricity, we still have a gas fire for heating, 40 gallons of stored hot water and a camping cooker and gas bottles.

Reply to
Steve Walker

True, but if the gas goes off the storage heaters will still work.

- Mike

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Relative to oil and gas, now and later this year?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I thought I would update this. Thanks to all for the information and advice. I have read everything everyone said.

The men came and fitted loft insulation - masses of it - about three weeks ago. It seems we qualified at least for that. An inspector is coming to check the work is of a satisfactory standard this week.

I am told I will be called when they have received the OK for heating etc. I dont know if we will qualify , we have wait and see what the grant people say.. No one is clear about how it works. If we do get heating, it will be storage heaters as they give like for like and we have storage heaters ( 1970's storage heaters , ex except for two which we had to replace about 10 years as they stopped working and we couldn't get anyone to fix them. They had obsolete fuses or something.).

Anyway, we got roof insulation.

Reply to
aprilswee...