Eco-Floods

Just been sat here trying to find where to buy these 26W eco-flood external flood lights.

Couldn't find anything on CPC, where'd ya get 'em and are they expensive?

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

http://62.49.135.52/lew/default.php?cPath=3&osCsid=71c97f930f92a06c15d9d6d730675a25> cheers

Andy Pevy

Reply to
andy.pevy

http://62.49.135.52/lew/default.php?cPath=3&osCsid=71c97f930f92a06c15d9d6d730675a25Hi,Hope you Don't mind me using this thread...

I am interested in changing my 4 300W halogen flood lights with a more meter friendly alternative

I want white light, so I guess Sodium is out of the window

The lamp mentioned above looks as if it has a fluorescent bulb - I was under the impression, if these got cold, they produce a lot less light - is this correct?

Thanks!

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Hi Rich. Lots of external lights will take 26w CFLs. Just check for enough room for the bigger bulb, and go for BC base not ES.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Or you could contact the manufacturer. Try

think you are looking at £30 for a switched version and about £45 for a dusk till dawn version

-- Adam

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

They take a while to warm up, and are not suitable for "instant lighting". Once warm, no problem.

-- Adam

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Ah, that;s interesgint to know, thanks.

Friend is looking at them for a security ring around his house (way out in the wilds, in Aberdeenshire, before anyone says anything about neighbour nuisance...). They may or may not be suitable for such switched applications then.

I'm looking at them to replace my 300W unit that I just use when needing to do work outside in the darker months. For me, then, the warm up time isn't really an issue, but running costs are, so these would be ideal (as long as the light output is sufficient, and posts from others in the past suggest that it is sufficient).

thanks Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

Ah, fine for the bulkhead fittings and lanterns, but I really need to replace a flood with a flood here.

thanks, tho, you've given me an idea what to do with the CFL lamps that I have knocking around the house. For some reason the light that they give off causes me to have real downwards mood swings, so I can't use them internally (even in the fittings that have enough room for them). Think I'll use them to install low power mood lighting around the patio/garden, for use when the flood isn't appropriate....

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

In article , RichardS writes

That's interesting, I have always felt that the light from CFL lamps makes rooms look dim, dismal and depressing, even if the actual light level is the same as with a normal bulb. However I know many people who don't notice this. I wonder why they should have that effect on me?

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

We're obviously more highly evolved beings, able to detect such nuances, Tim.

Yup, your perception of the light from these lamps is precisely my experience.

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

yup. Mercury is probably the next best, but they give a nasty cold white light, which may not suit you.

Yup. And depending on the drive circuit type, some wont light at all when its real cold.

Qs:

would lower power lighting be OK? If so, either swap the 300w tubes for 150w ones, or go to low voltage halogen which will go down to 20w bulbs witrhout loss of efficiency or life.

The other approach is to look at having them only on some of the time, ie on PIRs, photocells, timers, etc.

Finally, if youre really desperate, there's LED lighting. You may not get to see much, but you'll be able to tell where things are, and your leccy bil will simply disappear.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In article , N. Thornton writes

so will your bank balance

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

High intensity LED lighting is less efficient than fluorescent.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Mine never failed to light last year, but it never got colder than about minus 8 and as my lights are dusk till dawn they would probably have lit before the temperature dropped that low. But I totally agree that these lights may not light in very cold temps.

-- Adam

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I thought the CFL's used are not really suitable for PIR connection as they do take such a long time to reach full brightness. However looking at the lo-energi site I see they do offer a PI version (and I have no idea how good these are)

And they do a 42W version.

-- Adam

snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Tim Mitchell wrote:

I just worked it out. A 1w white light made from coloured LEDs costs about 6GBP, ie 9USD. 2 watts ill light a room, dimly. And such a bulb will have a life expectancy of around 100x that of filment bulbs. So really, its good money wise. And the leccy bills might as well not exist.

Peter Parry wrote:

Maybe, but it still eats way less power. The only downside with LED lighting is youre stuck with extremely low power, like 2 or 3 watts max. Beyond that it starts to cost.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

In article , N. Thornton writes

That may be so in the true spirit of DIY, but if you try to purchase a commercial LED lighting product you will find that the prices are many times higher than conventional products. As it becomes more popular, the prices will become more reasonable.

example: one of those spike in the ground garden spotlights, made by Ring lighting. Halogen version 5.99. LED version, containing 6 white LEDs, 50 quid.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

Efficiency (lumens per Watt) of some common lighting methods is :-

Low pressure Sodium 180 High Pressure Sodium 125 Fluorescent (T8) 95 Metal Halide 90 Mercury 50 White LED 25 Quartz Halogen 20 Incandescent 20

LEDs have advantages where their small size, long life, ruggedness and directional output are needed but in terms of energy efficiency have a long way to go.

Reply to
Peter Parry

James Thomas Engineering are promising a government eco-grant for 50% of the cost of installing their LED product, based on its energy efficiency.

(though it doesn't seem to work at the moment)

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

If one isn't so fussed about the colour of the light LEDs can be more efficient, I've seen figures of 50 to 75 lumens per watt quoted for "Super Bright" LEDs. Cree have developed white LEDs with efficiencies of up to 75 lumens per watt and in normal packaged form are getting 62 lumens per watt. I couldn't quite work out whether these are available commercially yet though.

Reply to
usenet