Bosch Boiler ECO mode

Does it really make much difference to energy used? It is a pain having to wait longer for the hot water to come through. I bet the saving is minimal.

Reply to
Judith

Does anybody know as I have this on my Bosch and have now turned it off.The hot water now comes through much faster,but can't comment on energy usage.

Reply to
Lyon

afaik With ECO off the boiler is not in pre-heat mode ie it doesn't keep the water at a higher temp. ready for more instant response to demand. So ECO has to be more economic.

Reply to
dave

I haven't made any actual comparison of gas used with and without ECO mode but after we had a new Bosch Greenstar boiler installed I tried turning off ECO mode in order to keep a small quantity of water pre-heated in the boiler, this results in the boiler firing up for a few seconds every 20 minutes. I felt that the extra gas used was small compared to the total heating and HW usage and probably worthwhile for the convenience of getting hot water at the tap sooner. If you're in the house all day then the extra gas isn't entirely wasted because some of it will be offset by a slightly shorter burn time when you draw hot water. I usually try to remember to switch back to ECO mode if we're going to be out of the house for a prolonged period.

As a rough guide typical gas consumption in the summer is about 7 KWh per day for all hot water (including 1 bath and 1 shower per day) and cooking on a gas hob. That compares to the cost of running a 3KW immersion heater for a bit over 2 hours per day.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

En el artículo , Mike Clarke escribió:

I have the same boiler (Greenstar 28i Junior) and tried Eco mode too. Unfortunately, the boiler is at the opposite end of the house to the bathroom and kitchen, and so any benefit derived from using Eco mode is negated by heat loss due to the length of the pipe runs and the time taken to get hot water from the small boiler store to the taps, so I switched it off.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Mike Tomlinson posted

Have you considered any possible solutions to this problem?

Reply to
Big Les Wade

En el artículo , Big Les Wade escribió:

No, just decided to live with it. It's an old Victorian semi, designed well before modern plumbing and heating systems.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

replying to Mike Clarke, Jono wrote: How do we turn off the eco-button on the green star boiler thankyou

Reply to
Jono

what does the manual say?

Reply to
tabbypurr

It certainly doesn't save on water bills as you have to run the tap for so long to get any hot water. It's a gimmick in many ways. It's more efficient to use without it on and saves water.

Reply to
Sue de Nym

It's intended to save gas not water!

Reply to
John Rumm

If you have to run off a lot of tepid water it'll waste a lot of gas.

Reply to
Max Demian

That is one reason why the feature is switchable - you can choose the mode most appropriate for your usage pattern. The best compromise would probably be a timer based pre-heat, so you can have it automatically turn off for the periods where is unlikely to be much HW used.

Reply to
John Rumm

My Ideal Logic does have a preheat function, but it makes such a clatter and only heats the burner and whatever?s in the system (there?s no store) it?s pretty much pointless. A significant drawback of combis I?ve come across

Reply to
RJH

Yes, and strangely not mentioned in sales descriptions of such boilers! Still when gas boilers are banned in a few years we'll go back to tank stores - with immersion heaters - for hot water (well insulated of course)

Reply to
mechanic