Easiest way to surface mount cables on hard wall

Use good old-fashioned 20mm metal conduit and boxes ?, or SWA from box to box :-)

And why bother with a ring main in a garage ?. Unless you are using a lot of high-current stuff, just use a radial circuit.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Even if it runs around the periphery of the garage and at or below waist height ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Who knows - that's the problem! :-)

We need an 18th edition "On site guide" to tell us what's actually required, and where.

Reply to
Chris Green

Special case - although not needed IMHO.

Depends on how long it takes to get into the prison and onto the wing. Sometimes it takes as long as 3 hours.

Due to Covid at one prison you no longer get a pat down as you go in - you now just fill in a form to say that you have not brought contraband in.

Another prison due to Covid brought in X ray machines. You have to put anything metal - money, belt, keys etc but not specs, bras, trousers or boots[1] into a box and walk through the machine. The box is then scanned similar to a suitcase at an airport - or would be if the scanners had arrived!

You would have fun.

If prison does not take your fancy there is always a dementia ward or a psychiatric ward.

[1] Wakefield does shoes.
Reply to
ARW

I hope the ghost of dennis has not taken over Theo:-)

Both types of circuits have pros and cons.

If installed properly then both are fine.

Reply to
ARW

'Loony' is a horrible word to use about a person who is very ill.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

I would never expect the nail in a cable clip to go into a brick. Blocks yes, but not brick.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes. They are saying, "Above 20mm use a core drill, except in soft blockwork."

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Some of the big SWA clips come with proper masonry nails that will go into brick.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thank you everybody, for your ideas, advice, and discussion of various points I hadn't considered.

The glue-on trunking and the nail plug ideas had me thinking, but I'm leaning towards PVC conduit because it should look neat (nice job Richard!) and afford some protection, whilst requiring relatively few fixings. There are plenty of convenient ligature points already, so that's not a consideration ;). I'll use metal saddle clips (and give the concrete screws a go - yes I do have an SDS drill) for debatable fire regs reasons.

Should I use conduit adaptors, or can I just push the conduit a little way into the metalclad boxes? I ask because a professional electrician did this on some work in my own house (with plastic not metalclad pattresses) and it seems fine... it would be in keeping with the "easy" requirement for this work.

I haven't finished the design yet, but I think I'll stick with the ring final circuit, to allow the arc welder to be plugged in anywhere around the garage and reduce the chance of an inrush current MCB trip.

I'm also thinking of revamping the lighting, by fitting a few linear LED battens around the place with a couple of two-way switches. I guess I'll use conduit for this circuit too, and I'm wondering about making use of the socket circuit conduit for some of the lighting cables too. For a 2.5 + 1.0 + 1.0 T&E set of cables, should I be going for 25mm conduit rather than 20mm? Is there any downside to 25mm? I guess metalclad accessories have both 20mm and 25mm knockouts? Or perhaps I'll fully adopt Richard's hybrid trunking and conduit design... although if I stick with the ring, I don't really want to have 2.5 + 2.5 T&E in the drops to each socket, for cable temperature derating reasons. So many considerations! Perhaps I'm over-thinking it!

Reply to
David

If you do not use adaptors at either socket box or trunking then there is nothing to stop the conduit moving and a 20mm hole would allow access to the internals so I doubt it will conform to the regs.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

You never have enough sockets in a garage or workshop (and most other places), so drop down to a 2-gang socket, left or right to another

2-gang socket beside it and back up from there?
Reply to
Steve Walker

Exactly and what I did.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Genius! Both of you :)

Reply to
David

I couldn't possibly comment :-)

Agreed. Different use cases, different failure modes - depends what you need.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

depends on your definition of "ill".

Reply to
charles

Nothing on a ring circuit should take more than 13 amps so I don't see what you gain over a radial. The radial will have a 20 amp MCB so will happily cope with anything that draws up to 13 amps.

The only thing that a ring could do that a radial couldn't is to handle *two* 13 amp loads at the same time.

If the arc welder takes more than 13 amps then it shouldn't be connected with a standard BS1363 plug.

Reply to
Chris Green

Or drop down to one, then keep going sideways to more until you hit something like a doorway that makes you go back up again!

(I stuck 15 in my 17'x12' workshop, and it was not quite enough)

Reply to
John Rumm

Could you post details of your qualifications in mental health care and treatment?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It's obvious that you don't know what you're talking about.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright