Dyson SUCKS!

To stop any muck in the water contaminating the float & preventing it from shutting.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I used to read Which? many years ago. Once you got to know an area well you realised the Which? reports just glossed over the subject and you couldn't rely on their recommendations. I don't think they have changed much since.

Reply to
dennis

A tested B & O once. Conclusion? Absolutely bog standard not very good circuit, dressed up in a fancy styled box and with average to crap speakers.

Mind you leak and Quad* were no better at that time. You needed to go to unheard of companies like ARCAM to do better.

  • The electrostatics were however pretty nice.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A Henry with a plaster chaser lasts less than 10 seconds before it's clogged so the airflow has dropped too low to consume the dust.

Dyson is the only thing I've found that can consume the dust from a plaster chaser without failing, and subject to pauses for emptying, just keeps right on going. And not a scrap of dust in the post-motor filter, but as it filters down to 50 microns whilst maintaining full flow (something which no other domestic cleaner comes close to, and is completely impossible with a bag which would fit in a domestic cleaner, and impossible with a bag of any size for any length of time), that's what I'd expect.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Funny, but that's wrong on both counts. It's actually the bloke who normally chooses and buys the vacuum cleaner (even if he'll never use it). Secondly, most of the problems with Dysons are caused by the user not emptying it when it needs emptying.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

something about I've come away wondering whether they really know their stuff or not. Almost like their reviewers are not experts in any particular field, but merely 'generally pretty knowledgeable' about a variety of subjects.

nothing/little about, and it's not like I have any reason to be cynical about them - I want a source of recommendations I can trust but I can't help but feel that Which? is not it.

+1

Actually, I had to do a double-take and check the From: field, as I'm pretty sure I've written exactly the same, but didn't recall doing so recently!

My parents get it, and sometimes thrust some review they think I'll find interesting under my nose, but I'm left cringing as they invarably completely miss the key points. I used to enjoy reading the two back cover readers legal issues they took up each month, but I think that section went many years ago.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Dysons look really pretty (if you like Fischer-Price), but appear to be useless. Like WAGs.

MM

Reply to
MM

In article , Andrew Gabriel writes

Frequent filter changes are also a very good idea. Dirt cheap off ebay.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Which somewhat negates the benefit of no bag.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My thoughts exactly.

Reply to
Huge

No need for replacements with our bagless VAX as they are washable. Excellent customer service too.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The DC24 filters are washable too (but it rarely gets done, with no obvious loss of performance); I assume that is true of all current Dysons. The DC03 filters are supposed to be replaced occasionally but I don't think I've ever done so, again with no apparent deleterious effect. I suspect the filters have little to do unless you try to suck up something inappropriate.

Suggesting that changing filters is somehow comparable with changing a bag is another example of the nonsense being spouted by the Dyson- haters.

Richard.

Richard Russell

Indeed. Changing a bag (on a well designed machine) is more like emptying the canister on a Dyson. Except that the dust stays in the bag...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It used to on Dysons too. Whatever plastic they used was a near perfect insulator, so it retained a huge static charge. When you opened them to empty them, dust stuck all over them, outside and all.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why is anyone who doesn't regard the Dyson as the answer to world problems a Dyson hater?

I don't give a stuff if others hate every individual domestic appliance I chose to buy.

When I talked about a Dyson cult, I was joking. Not so sure now.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Because te cult of Dyson will stuff them down your throat in a very 'Royal Nonesuch*' way which leads to a surfeit of dysons and acute dysonsitis.

Its the same with anything that gets huge exposure on TV. I've seen the same with Apple, and Windows.

People don't want to admit they were actually conned by smart advertising into buying something very ordinary, so they have to affirm their choice was really about the quality and excellence of the product, by telling everybody else. The more people can be persuaded to buy the nasty piece of consumer shit, the less isolated and stupid they feel*

Think Ratner***. Before the head of it told everybody they were idiots buying complete crap they were happy consumers thinking they had top bling at affordable prices. Afterwards no one would buy exactly the same products at exactly the same price, for anythng.

*
** 'harry' ***
The Natural Philosopher

The filter only starts collecting dust when the container overfills and there's no space for a cyclone to operate.

The pre-motor filters have all been washable for years, even the replacements for the very first non washable one.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

That's because we haven't been. As I said, my DC01 was bought at the recommendation of a relly, and the DC35 at the recommendation of another. And we don't see ads here, SWMBO turns 'em off.

If we'd thought the first Dyson was crap or even just ordinary, unlikely we'd have bought another.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Same here.

Indeed.