Dyson SUCKS!

I prefer one that picks stuff up and doesn't then spread it about.
On 30/08/2012 01:00, Dave Liquorice wrote:

The point here is what suction do the machines start out with?
I reckon a Henry with a half full bag would still out perform a Die Soon.

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 09:28:44 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Well having actually owned a Henry and a DC04 the DC04 has more suction than the Henry even with a brand new bag in the Henry. Even the Earlex wet 'n dry has more suction than the Henry(*), has a capacity at least double the Henry and costs half as much and will do wet if required.
(*) When the filter is clean, plaster or wood sanding dust will clog it but will also clog the bag in the Henry. Henry bags aren't reuseable with a fair bit of faffing about. ie no clip holding an end closed so they can be emptied.
--
Cheers
Dave.

I never use my Earlex wet. The filter rots a week afterwards. Otherwise it's a decent workshop vac.
The vacuum I have most of is the Aldi fireplace emptier (three of those). Tin bucket and decent build quality, it's excellent for building into a router table or bandsaw as per-machine dust collection, especially if you give it a cyclone up front. Maybe a bit noisy for bandsaws.
In article

On my ancient Rowenta W&D, you remove the bag and filter before using it wet. It has a float which prevents water getting into the actual motor. Why would you need a filter when lifting water?
--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

I've got one of those too. Ought to scrap it though - noisiest vacuum I've ever had. It used to run the cyclone in my router table (now replaced by an Aldi) and I could hear it over the router.

For lifting water I have pumps. I use a wet vacuum to lift stripped wallpaper, manky leaves or other damp solids. These need a filter too.

To stop any muck in the water contaminating the float & preventing it from shutting.

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 03:15:13 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley wrote:

Well if you leave it wet in the cannister what do you expect? Take it out clean and dry it on top of the boiler no problem. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.

Anyone remember the Charles? A certain office supply company used to sell them with a face on the front that looked a little bit like a certain member of the royal family.
Brian
--
From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

A Henry with a plaster chaser lasts less than 10 seconds before it's clogged so the airflow has dropped too low to consume the dust.
Dyson is the only thing I've found that can consume the dust from a plaster chaser without failing, and subject to pauses for emptying, just keeps right on going. And not a scrap of dust in the post-motor filter, but as it filters down to 50 microns whilst maintaining full flow (something which no other domestic cleaner comes close to, and is completely impossible with a bag which would fit in a domestic cleaner, and impossible with a bag of any size for any length of time), that's what I'd expect.
--
Andrew Gabriel

I've just bought my fourth Henry(ish). Apart from one lost in a burglary, they're all still working. Two have lasted over ten years so far. The only repairs have been new filters and one new hose where someone drove over it. One caught fire(!) and apart from a burned filter, it survived.
Parents went through two Dysons within a year.

Jew expect me to do carpets with one of those?
--
Tim

:-) I think a beer or two takes priority.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
snipped-for-privacy@arcade.demon.co.uk wrote:

Marketing bollox
<http://dyson.co.uk/Vacuumcleaners/DDM.aspx
On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 21:29:28 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Bollox after marketing have got at it. Looks as if they are stepper motors to me.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

I think you'd need more than 2 poles to guarantee they rotated in one direction, rather than just vibrate back and forth at 1.7kHz
Andy Burns wrote:

probably has a sensor on the armature - you energise the pole that will 'kick' the armature in the right direction and then once spinning the two pole motor will keep going in the right way.
Its the same as model aircraft 'brushless' motors. Although those are three phase normally.
I liked this
"They are incredibly efficient too – due in part to high tolerances. For example, the impeller spins at over 600mph with only 0.3mm clearance between the blade tip and the impeller housing"
1/. the "for example" gives absolutely no description of efficiency at all. In fact...
2/. Things don't spin at 600mph. That's linear velocity and if that refers to the tip speed of the impeller...
3/. Mach 0.9 for an impeller is not only extraordinarily inefficient its inefficiency manifests as MASSIVE noise, too. You WILL get transonic airflow over parts of the blade.
(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6vWavvB9nI&feature=related
)
Actually the efficiency will be down to having that neodymium magnet and plenty of copper so the winding resistance is low. Even hand wound motors can get up to the high 70s or more, and careful choice of laminations magnets and bearings can net you over 90%. Its not hard. Just expensive. I doubt Dyson have that sort of efficiency though - its marginal gains for a lot of expense.
The model aircraft boys are chasing the ultimate power to weight, and heat is a problem so they do go to extremes. Essentially 90% efficiency to 95% means double the power for the same heat rise. However that in itself becomes a useless exercise as battery weight totally dominates past a certain point.
All of which confirms the suspicion that Dyson are long on bullshit and short on engineering.
Their technology is not selected to last, be tough, or be efficient: Its selected for the maximum ability to brand-differentiate from their rivals and construct an appealing narrative about the product.
Or as we used to say about Microsoft
"Designed to sell, working is a secondary issue"
--
Ineptocracy

Not just cheap brushless DC motors with a cheap digital controller then?
dennis@home wrote:

yes.
Marginally better than a £2.50 Mabuchi motor as in a cordless drill. They may have spent £5 on it instead.
--
Ineptocracy