Dripping ceramic disc taps.

replying to Ret., Johnfranklyn wrote: My Ceramic hot tap dripped, stripped it and rubbed the washer faces on fine grade wet and dry paper resting on a piece of plate glass. Re assembled and no drips. Easy fix!

Reply to
Johnfranklyn

I would wonder if this was more thanks to removing "elevated" limescale deposits than lapping out "scores" in the seal faces. (In which case a good descaler might have done just as well).

Reply to
newshound

As you'd expect with a post from Homeownershub - the original discussion was back in 2011......

However, I posted in uk-diy in late December (2017!) with a similar problem. I found a UK supplier who reckoned to supply a complete replacement cartridge assembly - so I bought one for the 'hot' end and one for the 'cold' end of my kitchen mixer tap.

Once the parts turned up, they fitted perfectly into the mixer-tap, but were subtly different in the location of the 'cover' thread, so the chromed covers wouldn't fit completely. The supplier pointed out that my mixer tap wasn't exactly the same as the one they'd pictured (very subtle differences in the design - different manufacturer altogether, apparently) - and, after a bit of discussion, they agreed to refund the cost on return of the cartridges in 'as new' condition).

In the meantime, I'd disassembled the original cartridges and soaked the ceramic discs in vinegar overnight. Reassembled with a touch of vaseline, and (touch wood!) they've been drip-free for the last month. There was nothing visibly 'wrong' with the original discs - but the vinegar soak seemed to do the trick.

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

I have the same problem. Switched from conventional tap inserts to disc. No problem, but now our cold water pressure is higher.

Neither tap drips, but if I turn on the cold tap, the hot tap starts to lea k slightly until you turn on the hot and then off. Turning on the hot tap does not make the cold tap leak.

Nothing to do with dirt or limescale. A new insert does the same. Swapping the inserts (cold and hot) and the hot still leaks slightly when t he cold is turned off and then on.

The problem I believe is caused by the high pressure on the cold side being applied to the base of the ceramic insert and moving it slightly out of po sition. My guess is that it moves the upper disk slightly (there is tolera nce between the key slot in the ceramic disk and the tab on the spindle tha t fits into it. The problem started when they built a lot of houses near us and they increa sed the cold water main pressure.

This does not happen on another tap where the hot and cold have different c hannels up the mixer spout and the cold water pressure is not applied to th e hot insert.

My options:

1) Go back to ordinary washers. 2) Pressure reducing valve - not worth it. 3) I am going to file the edge of the insert spindle to allow it to move ab out 1 degree more when off. This gives a slightly increased overlap between the disks. This is an experiment and I don't know if it will work.

I will try "3" first. then opt for "1"

By a process of elimination it is the low temperature hot water side (of th e tap) that is the problem. It is not the seat (the leak would not stop whe n the hot is turned on briefly then off)

Hope this helps.

I anyone knows better let me know.

Reply to
bob.bell

All I can say is that despite what logic says, I merely turned the in line water tap on the cold feed back to reduce the flow rate and no more dripping. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
ggoliver43

Why have you posted an almost 8 years old quote?

Reply to
TOJ

Yes check ow old the post is.# grin.... I think if you are starting a new subject do not add to an old one unless you want to confuse people. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ret died a few years ago. Apparently it was not very nice.

Brian Gaff wrote:

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire