Drilling metal - protecting from rust

I need to drill a few holes for self tapping screws through painted metal on my van. Some are into an enclosed cavity. What's the best way to protect the drilled metal from rust?

Reply to
RJH

Spray with Owatrol or some such, before and after putting the screws in.

Reply to
Chris Green

If you paint it with anything the self tapper is likely to cut through the layer so I would use grease.

Reply to
alan_m

Even then the moisture can get in under the head, and the self tapping action tends to remove anything used to protect the metal as it screws in. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thanks - that appears to be the way. I had thought about flooding the cavity with waxoyl but that and such things (like Owatrol) are too expensive for this use - only 4 screws. I'll douse with grease and cross fingers . . .

Reply to
RJH

That's why I said spray before and after, Owatrol works by being very penetrating and it should seal the 'post screwing' activity pretty well.

Reply to
Chris Green

A spray can of Owatrol is an handy thing to have around anyway. :-)

Reply to
Chris Green