OT-maybe Fire Alarm Control Panel relay outputs

So, a typical fire alarm control panel (I've looked at several) has various inputs and outputs. Usually there are two outputs from on-board relays that indicate ALARM or FAULT. They are described as volt-free contacts - usually from a simple relay, and the three connections to the relay are presented (COM, NC & NO). The control panels have separate outputs for sounders, sprinklers, etc. So, what is connected to the ALARM and FAULT relay contacts, normally?

My end goal is that I have been tasked to produce a device that transmits a bluetooth message upon ALARM or FAULT. The bluetooth bit is simple. Detecting the state of the relay outputs is also simple, provided that there is not some great lump of ugliness also connected!

Reply to
Grumps

Typically they would be connected to a status panel in a 24hr manned location. This could be in reception or in a security office, or transmitted to a local central monitoring service or the local fire station.

On more sophisticated systems, the contacts are configured (with resistors) so that an open circuit or short circuit wiring fault is also detected.

Reply to
David

The alarm relay may be connected to door-magnets or air-conditioning controls to stop air supply and shut fire doors.

Reply to
John

Open shutter doors to underground car parks, activate a phone call to the owner/property management company (esp the fault relay), open smoke vents. The list goes on

I would not expect an output for sprinklers on a conventional fire alarm system.

Reply to
ARW