drill angle adapter

I was looking for a drill angle adapter like this:

But most of them have bad reviews - the angle bearing just does not last. Can anyone recommend a decent one ? Thanks, Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Not a 'decent' one, but the one from Aldidl was rough as hell. I stripped, cleaned and lubed it and it's been OK for the few times I've used it.

Look at Makita or Bosch's sites at a guess.

Reply to
PeterC

In message , sm_jamieson writes

No but.. Have you considered an angle drill driver? I was slightly surprised to find my electrician using one with a 25mm wood bit creating mouse holes through my house timber frame.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

How many times to you expect to use it? Surely this sort of accessory would normally be used only very occasionally.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

I have that Toolstation one and have used it fairly often. It's been fine. It's not the sort of thing that gets really heavy use, surely? And if it is, the price is reasonable enough that it could be replaced if it did start to give problems.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I'll get it then - yes its only for light use. The bad reviews were obviously due to heavy use like drilling through joists, etc. I initially want to drill 5mm holes in chipboard !

I suppose it is cheap enough to replace, but a few replacements and you might as well have bought a right angle drill in the firt place.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Simon, mine is used mainly for chipboard and MDF. And as I said, I've found no problems so far.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Don't electricians and plumbers spend quite a lot of time drilling holes in joists? Given that the space between joists is around 14" there's not much space for a conventional drill.

Reply to
GB

Depends. If you're re-wiring, can be very useful to drill holes through joists.

I've kept my ancient Wicks cordless drill because it has an excellent right angle adpator. Even to the point of paying to have a battery re-celled.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure how good it is, but Rutlands were touting this the other day:

John Rumm

I had one and didn't find it much good. I kept an eye open and eventually found a brand new mains angle-drill for less than £30 on Ebay. That has been great for putting pipes and wiring through joists, drilling extra holes for mounting things in my kit-car, even just putting screws in or taking them out in confined spaces (it's variable speed).

It's not something that most people use very often, but whenever it's needed, it transforms the ease of a task.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yep, agreed - I bought a £10 14V NiCad stock clearance one. Not that powerful and the batteries on their last legs now - but well worth it.

Reply to
RJH

The numpties who did the first-fit electrics on my house (1976) just drilled from below at an angle of about 30 degrees. where two 65 mm joist were fitted side by side to support the upstairs (block) wall they drilled up at 30 deg through one joist then did the same from other side. They even drilled two 30 mm diam holes side by side, so effectively took out a lump of timber

65 mm wide and similar depth out of a 9 inch joist.

They must have had fun pulling the 6 mm cooker cable though that zig-zag hole.

Reply to
Andrew

Is there enough space between the joists to use a plunge router ?.

Reply to
Andrew

The main problem with angle drills is the lack of 'energy' you can exert to make the bit chomp into the wood, when you are standing, lying or kneeling at an awkward angle to start with. And then you have to apply lateral force as well.

I usually have to resort to using various bits of timber as levers to push the bit into the timber being drilled, else you just apply a lateral force to wrong part of the angled gearbox.

Reply to
Andrew

My joists are nominally 16" spacing, so the 18V Bosch Pro with 22mm spade bit at 12¾" long is OK. The Bosch Pro 10.8V will do the job (I don't rush it at that size) and is an inch shorter. The angled adapter gets used only if necessary.

Reply to
PeterC

The solution in that case if often a set of stubby auger bits - they are ideal since they draw themselves through the wood and don't need pushing.

I have a cheap set like:

and for occasional use they work well.

That's partly where a real angle drill helps since you are putting the leverage on the case of the drill and not onto the gear path itself.

Reply to
John Rumm

Surely you don't need anything that big! I've quite happily drilled

1"/25mm holes in joist and similar with my 12v Metabo and I'm pretty sure I've done it with my cheapo 10.8v Titan (Screwfix).
Reply to
Chris Green

When I wired our first house - 1964 - power drills weren't as widespread as they are today. I used a brace & bit. A ratchet bit allowed this.

Reply to
charles

You'll never guess what - actually you will.

I went to put away the new toolstation angle adapter - in a drawer that is the obvious one for putting angle adaptors away in, but obviously not the obvious drawer for looking for one.

And there was an unopened Aldi one from who knows how many years ago! The Aldi one has a keyed chuck whereas the toolstation one is keyless. But the body plastic moulding looks identical - and just like several other cheap ones on the market. Obviously all rebadged from China.

So now I have two.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson