cut down drill bit

I've had to cut down (well, snap off) a 5mm drill bit to make it shorter for access in a tight space. But now the chuck will not hold it straight, since it is trying to grip the flutes. The chuck grips the flutes of smaller drill its OK with a little fiddling, but the 5mm one is just not. Any ideas for how to do this ? I thought of filling part of the flutes with lead, but I don't really have the equipment. Other idea is to use the other part of the drill, but I'd have to grind the snapped off end correctly.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I'd do the latter. It has more chance of working than winding 1mm wire round the bit to assist grip.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You can buy stub length drill bits. eBay seems to have various ones listed. Always meaning to buy a set but never got my round tuit.

Reply to
Scott M

I just use broken ones.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Maybe a coupler? You can get right-angle and flexible drives.

Reply to
James Harris

5mm isn't too difficult to sharpen on a grindstone. Much smaller may well be.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not really. I just shift to a different grind pattern with 3mm and under.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

That's good to know. Sharpening small ones is not a skill I've aquired.

I'd be willing to pay a decent price for a powered drill sharpener that could do the small sizes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

More pressure & more speed makes them far less critical.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr