angled drill adapter needed?

I saw at the Miami boat show a salesman demonstrating an adaptor that when attached to the drill you could adjust the angle of the drive more than just a 90 degree fitting. (Should have bought it) I need to drill into the coaming through heavy glass and tap into a metal backing plate and the bottom holes clearance is less that 11/2" above the deck. Any suggestions out there??

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

Don't even think about tapping that backing plate.

Thru drill it if you ever expect to get it apart again.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Take a look at this:

local toll rental carries right angle drills. MMC

Reply to
MMC

One trick is to braze a drill bit of the correct diameter to a length (12" ??) of "music wire." (Groove the dull end of the bit so the wire comes out centered and adjust with a hammer.) Guide the bit with heavy gloves or a bit of tube slipped over the wire. Works well for small bits. Haven't tried anything larger than 1/4".

Reply to
Roger Derby

I saw such an angle drill thing at Lowes last week.

Reply to
dbohara

I buy a lot of stuff from Harbor Freight, and with most of it, I'm quite happy. I bought one of those right angle adapters and it is junk -- the gears don't mesh right and the chuck is similarly bad.

Reply to
Roger Derby

There are pneumatic angle drills used in the aviation industry that will work in very tight spots. They take threaded drill bits, so they don't need a bulky chuck. These drills show up on ebay pretty often. Try searching ebay for "aviation angle drill", or for manufacturer's names such as Dotco, UAT or Cleco.

Reply to
Steve

Agreed. Backing plates need through drilling, not tapping. Bed on both sides, epoxy fill the deck core, coat the bolt thread near the head with bedding, and dog down lightly. After 24 hours (or whatever set up time is recommended), dog down again to final tightness and trim excess bedding with something very sharp.

Tapping is great for masts, not for backing plates, which are done to make it better than factory and nearly bulletproof.

R.

Reply to
rhys

You are probably thinking about something like this:

you are drilling at any angle greater than about 20 degrees you need to make a shallow starter hole straight in so the bit will not wander.

Usually backing plates are not tapped unless it is a blind hole. You drill straight through and add a lock washer and nut. For a belt and suspenders approach tap the plate and add a locking nut on the back side. Be aware though that backing plates are usually aluminum and yow can get some corrosion that will make removing the bolt very difficult. Use some anti-sieze like Tef-Gel.

For blind holes or holes with very little back clearance it is best to use 3 taps. Start with a taper tap (most common) and follow with a plug tap to finish out the last few threads. If it is a completely blind hole finish with a bottoming tap.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

This was probably what you saw:

(Amazon link)

Or at least something similar in concept. This attachment can be used in many different angles.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

our tool survey, Win $200!

------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 6 Reviews:

- Sherwood OS-100 Oscillating Spindle Sander

- Porter Cable NS150A Narrow Crown Stapler

- Book: Popular Mechanics Shelving & Storage

- Betterley Tru-Cut Insert System

- Digital Calipers & Height Gauge

- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)

www

I bought the other design.. on sale for $10... not very good quality, but worth the price.. it didn't work that well on a drill but does pretty well on the end of a power shaft..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis