270 degree hinges

I bought 270 degree hinges from Rockler so I assume they are okay. When I installedl them on the first door of a cabinet, the door did not want to close all the way easily. Screws are in all the way, everything looks good and I cannot figure what is wrong. First time I have ever used this type of hinge. Do I have to relieve the wood in any way for them to work right?

Any ideas are thankfull accepted. Allan

Reply to
Allan Matthews

Did they come with paper directions on how to adjust them? Assuming that the hinges are installed properly and the door is of proper size, I'd loosen up all the screws a bit on the hinges and then see if the door could be placed properly. If so, start gradually tightening them up keeping note of how screw adjustment changes the position of the door. 270° hinges can be adjusted on 3 planes. (up and down, in and out, squareness). Keep in mind that these adjustments are magnified by the fact that there's at least two hinges installed.

Reply to
Upscale

wraps around the side of the cabinet. two screws go into the face of the cabinet side and two screws go into the inside surface of the cabinet side. There is no way to adjust anything. The side of the cabinet are exactly 3/4 inch in thickness as called for... I just don't see where the problem is and thought maybe someone else had the same problem at some time. Firt time I have ever used a 270 hinge.

Reply to
Allan Matthews

ees and wraps around the side of the cabinet. two screws go into the face = of the cabinet side and two screws go into the inside surface of the cabine= t side. There is no way to adjust anything. The side of the cabinet are ex= actly 3/4 inch in thickness as called for... I just don't= see where the problem is and thought maybe someone else had the same probl= em at some time. Firt time I have ever used a 270 hinge.

Hello Allan, There are a couple of things that you'll want to check for. First,I'd check to see if either the head of the screws or the back elbow of the door bend of the hinge are by chance hitting as you close the door. You might be able to tell by looking closely from the edge of the door as you close it, or you might rub a bit of chalk on the screw head and the hinge bend, then test close the door. The chalk will leave a mark on the opposing piece as you close the door if a rub or tight fit is present. If a chalk mark is left, then you'll know that removing a bit of wood where the mark is should relieve the bind. Another thing you might check is that the front edge of the cabinet side and the edge of the door are square. If by chance the front edge of the cabinet side was not planed square then it could be possible that the hinge it not seating properly. Mortising is usually not done for these hinges by if an edge is not quite square one could make a slight mortise under any part needed to bring things back square as may be needed. I hope this is of help to you.

Steve snipped-for-privacy@rockler.com Technical Support Rockler Woodworking and Hardware

support

and wraps around the side of the cabinet. two screws go into the face of the cabinet side and two screws go into the inside surface of the cabinet side. There is no way to adjust anything. The side of the cabinet are exactly 3/4 inch in thickness as called for... I just don't see where the problem is and thought maybe someone else had the same problem at some time. Firt time I have ever used a 270 hinge.

door bend of hinge is not hitting. Wood does not contact wood at any point in closing.

Front edge of cabinet side is perfectly square but the bends in the hinges do not appear to be at 90 degrees..hard to check tho, with a square. Also inside of bends is round so I wonder if I should have rounded over the cabint edge.

I thought it was something I had done wrong but am now convinced that the hinges simply are bent at wrong angle or don't have clearance where they should. My first attempt at 270 degree hinges and they looked so right for the application and looked so simple to attach and use. There is really only one way they can go on. I have only attached one door out of four so far so well have to do some more heas scratching.

Oh well, back to the drawing board but I really needed a 270 degree opening. Allan

Reply to
Allan Matthews

degrees and wraps around the side of the cabinet. two screws go into the face of the cabinet side and two screws go into the inside surface of the cabinet side. There is no way to adjust anything.

I was thinking you had the Blum type of hinges ~ the type that fits a 35mm hole.

Upscale

egrees and wraps around the side of the cabinet. two screws go into the fa= ce of the cabinet side and two screws go into the inside surface of the cab= inet side. There is no way to adjust anything. The side of the cabinet are= exactly 3/4 inch in thickness as called for... I just do= n't see where the problem is and thought maybe someone else had the same pr= oblem at some time. Firt time I have ever used a 270 hinge.

Hmm... the rounded inside bend of the hinge might be affecting the mount slightly but should take no more than a slight rounding over with a file or even sandpaper to get a tight fit. This will tend to be needed more if you are using a hardwood such as oak. One can't really check the hinge itself with a square as you mention, but when you take a look at the hinge from an end view if the bends look a bit off then it could be they were overbent in manufacturing. In looking at this hinge closely it looks to me that a good solution would be to make a slight relief on the cabinet edge in the open section of the hinge where the door half folds into the cabient half. As the inside door half of the hinge can rotate entirely around within the inside of the hinge mortising a relief at this part of the cabinet front edge should result in any possible binding being eliminated. Also, you can compare the hinges against one another and see if some seems worse than others. Some tolerances may be considered normal by the manufacturer, but if the bends seem to be way off contact Rockler's customer service at

800-279-4441 with your order information and arrangements for replacements can be made. Steve snipped-for-privacy@rockler.com Technical Support Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
support

degrees and wraps around the side of the cabinet. two screws go into the face of the cabinet side and two screws go into the inside surface of the cabinet side. There is no way to adjust anything. The side of the cabinet are exactly

3/4 inch in thickness as called for... I just don't see where the problem is and thought maybe someone else had the same problem at some time. Firt time I have ever used a 270 hinge.

am going to round the corner of the inside of the cabinet where the hinge "wraps around" and I am also going to relieve the edge of the cabinet side where the strap that fastens to the door comes around when the door is closed.

Will let you know how it turns out. I think the culprit may be in the round inside corner of the hinge against the cabinetedge...it is Red Oak .Allan

Reply to
Allan Matthews