Draper Biscuit Jointer

andy hall wrote:

snip valuable information. Many thanks for that Andy. All is clear now.
I only asked about using a router, as I saw the beauty of the alignment of a router table to make up wider sections of things that could make up a table top. OK on the lengths of the slots. All good stuff.
I may never get beyond that, so once again, many thanks for the info.
Dave
Dave wrote:

It can, but you may find it a mixed blessing. I have the trend bit set, and while it will do what it says on the tin, there are a few issues to be aware of:
1) it is 'kin expensive - i.e. about the same price as a cheap biscuit joint. (when I bought my one there were no budget jointers available)
2) it is the wrong diameter. One of the beauties of biscuit joints is the speed. Plunge the tool, pocket made (i.e. the jointer blade is the right diameter to make the required pocket in a single hit). With the router it is case of slide work into bit, move it along for a hard to determine distance to widen the slot and finally withdraw the bit.
3) changing biscuit sizes with a jointer is a case of moving a biscuit size selector. With the router bit is is a case of using an allen key to remove a bearing from the end of the cutter, substituting another different sized bearing, and refixing with the allen key.
4) used freehand it is very easy to damage the work since you have the blade exposed at all times and you are plunging the router is a very non natural way - a sort of: place router down on surface but clear of work edge, plunge sideways, elongate slot, pull out of work and make sure you are well clear before lifting router clear. Get any stage of that wrong and you will have a lump missing from your work.
YMMV!
--
Cheers,

John.

John Rumm wrote:

Issues snipped.
Thanks for that John.
As I posted to Andy, I doubt that I will ever need to use a biscuit jointer, as I do not get that much into DIY. I only asked the question to satisfy my own curiosity.
Many thanks for taking the time to educate me.
Dave
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

One of the woodworker mags this month rated the SIP one at c. 25 much higher than the Draper.
HTH,
Alex.

It rated it as better value for money, not better as a product.....
--

.andy

Andy Hall wrote:

Actually, it rated it a better product, as I said.
For build quality both got 3.5/5. For performance the Draper got 4/5 and the SIP got 4.5/5. Subjectively, the review comments had no negatives for the SIP and several for the Draper, which were admittedly fairly minor annoyances.
Combine all that with the SIP being less than 1/2 the list price of the Draper I think the SIP came out much better overall.
Alex.
No. It rated it better value, not a better product.
The only reason for that is that the price is less. Whether the annoyances are minor, depends on the user. If saving of 20 is the most critical point, then fine. OTOH, if this results in a crap result, then it becomes a pointless saving.
andy hall wrote:

Read the review again Andy:
4 dots out of 5 for performance for the Draper.
4.5 dots out of 5 for performance for the SIP.
= better performance for the SIP

The review did not say that ... see above.

Agreed, but they were with the Draper not the SIP which incidentally had no negatives listed.

But isn't it even more pointless to spend 20 more on a product with a lower performance rating?
Alex.

Which SIP jointer is this - at what price? I've seen the SIP 07904 at about 50GBP. Is this the one?
John Cartmell wrote:

I don't have the model number to hand, but it was listed at 24.98 ... I'll dig up the model # tonight.
Alex.
AlexW wrote:

Yes 07904. They are quoting it at 24.85.
Alex.

'They' being ... ?
John Cartmell wrote:

Practical Woodworking (& Routing) November 2005

I got that bit - but where are they suggesting that it's available for 24.85?
John Cartmell wrote:

Sorry, dunno where the price came from, they (PW&R)gave contact as: SIP 01509 500 350
Prices in reviews should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Remember that copy deadlines are often 2-3 months ahead of publication and in the meantime a volume channel for a generic Chinese product will drop their shorts on the price if they have a contract for volume purchase and the next container is about to arrive.
It's a numbers game with price points set at a compromise between what they can get away with, perceived competition and shifting stock before the next generic model hits the streets.

And how does it compare with the Ferm at 30GBP?
John Cartmell wrote:

Don't know. No Ferm models were reviewed.
Brands were: Draper, Einhell, SIP, Clarke, Axminster and Erbauer.
See Practical Woodworking (& Routing) November 2005 for further info.
Alex.
AlexW wrote:

Spend less than you might have??? Oh, dear, I don't think you understand at all! ( ;) )

Well worth it! I'm very happy with mine. I looked at all the budget ones, and the Draper was the best. The alloy ones all had protractors that were inaccurate, and those with rack and pinion adjusters were not parallel to the blade. The Draper front end is steel, so if it gets dropped it will survive. However, I took mine apart and lightly filed the roughness off the sliding depth setting bits.