Are Algae resistant shingles worth it?

I am not sure about the price difference, yet. But are Algae resistant shingles worth the expense? Do they really work?

Reply to
higgledy

It would be about $300 more in my area to put the treated 3M shingles on my roof vs. the non-treated shingles. The killing ingredient supposedly lasts for 20 years.

Without the treated 3M's, I have to climb up on my roof and apply moss/algae killer every three years or so. So maybe six times in 20 years.

Costs me about $20 each time I apply the killer and maybe 20 minutes to do it. So $120 in material. Bill my time at a lowball $30.

So, $150 vs. $300. I think I'd go for the treated shingles. But having said that I know my method works and all I know about the treated shingles are the reports I have read and the roofers I have talked to.

Reply to
timbirr

Are your shingles asphalt or cedar?

I am referring to the asphalt type shingle. Maybe wood shingles are treated with the same chemical? It is a copper chemical or granular, I think.

snipped-for-privacy@mailcity.com wrote:

Reply to
higgledy

Look at your neighbors' roofs carefully. If you see ugly streaks, then select the algae-resistant shingles. There's a cost point where I might pass up special singles--a hundred bucks sounds reasonable. I used zinc strips on my roof (about $40) and that has worked well but over the years I noticed some of the strips curled. Copper or aluminum will work too.

Metal ions tend to keep mold and algae from growing. Notice the areas downhill from metal tubes/pipes and flashing on rooftops where the surface has remained clean from algae/mold growth.

Reply to
Phisherman

keep areas clear of trees, shade allows algea mold to grow

Reply to
hallerb

Yep...and watch your cooling costs go thru those shingles !

Seriously my shingles look terrible, as do most of my neighbors but are nowhere near in need of replacement...And I am not about to replace them for cosmetic reasons.

There is a Company that does clean shingles, using low prressure "wash" before and after pictures are impressive...I have no idea however if the stains will return in 24 hours 24 days 24 months on in

3 years....nor do I know the cost to have mine cleaned...

What I do know is that mine look like crap, and I'm not going to replace them (YET)...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

Mine look like crap too especially when they are flapping in the breeze or blowing down the street. But the thing I hate most about my roof is cleaning the shingle-granules out of the gutters. I am replacing my roof.

Bob G. wrote:

Reply to
higgledy