dot matrix printer

Peter Parry submitted this idea :

Indeed. I have a HP4000 with network card and duplexer. It cost me £20 ten years ago and is still on the cartridge it came with. Better (cheaper) to see if an office is disposing of its old printers, rather than going to one of the 'refurbed' suppliers. All they do is a quick test print on them, then add 90% to the price.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Speak for yourself.

It was very easy to spot the people whose smeared and smudged inkjet CV's came through the post, compared with those who had taken teh trouble to get to a decent crisp laserjet.

And you can get very good but old laserjets very cheap these days.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't think I'd ever be inclined to employ someone who couldn't operate an inkjet printer properly.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

TBH if I'm hiring, the quality of their home printer or whether they've just used the one in the office has very little to do with what I want them to do.

Reply to
Clive George

Why are people printing out CVs on home printers?

CVs aside if I want a photo printed would go to Boots(WHY) and let them worry about capital costs, cost of consumables, clogged nozzles, all the rest. (YMMV)

As cheap as the inkjet allready on my desk?

Reply to
soup

Over 1000 sheets, cheaper.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I suspect that depends on how many applications you have to sort through to get a "short list" of 50...

Presentation is all for that first impression. If some one hasn't put the tiny amount of effort in to make the best first impression what does it say about their overall attitude?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher saying something like:

There's nearly always a generic driver in Windows that works to provide basic functionality, no matter what printer I've used. Case in point, my latest HP - I couldn't be doing with all that system-clogging crap HP wanted to put on, so it's running happily on a Windows driver and prints anything I throw at it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I can't remember the last time I actually got a paper CV through the post. I've had a couple as Word documents with embedded macro viruses though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Tim Lamb writes

economies of scale, innit

I need a dot matrix for printing labels, yes they are no longer cheap

The same is happening with IDE hard drives I noticed last week - getting more expensive that the equivalent SATA ones

If you want cheap, I just bought a Canon i2600 for £29.99 +

It does what's required of it, consumables are reasonable

Reply to
geoff

They're also essential for multipart forms, something that lasers and inkjets are useless for, so they still have a place but it's in volume commercial printing.

FWIW my own business has used Xerox solid ink printers for years. The print quality is much better than laser and the running costs are a lot lower.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I work in a field where almost all recruitment is done through agencies. So my CV is carefully edited, distributed by email, then printed out on any old shit in the pondlife's office. 8-( I always take a decent copy with me when I go for the interview.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

Reply to
Appin

The message from snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) contains these words:

That's helpful in ruling out candidates :-) Whether or not a virus was present.

I wouldn't employ anyone who used Word, myself, far less someone who didn't know enough to send a pdf.

Reply to
Appin

In message , geoff writes

Cost is secondary to standby reliability. The use will probably not exceed 3 copies once per week!

Amazon are sending me an HP laserjet p1006 shortly.

From the interest shown, should I expect a raft of reasons why this is a bum decision?

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

How kind of them!

That (or a similar product from the same or a different company) would have been my choice as well.

Reply to
Rod

Whether you love Word or hate it, in the real world isn't that an awfully broad and haphazard method of screening applicants...?!

David

Reply to
Lobster

And if an agency is involved, well, many of them insist on Word format. (Won't even accept RTF in many cases. Nor any other format whatsoever.)

This is obviously because they copy and paste the information into their standard CV format - leaving out anything that could cut them out of the loop and lose their fees.

Reply to
Rod

Considerably more scientific (and probably useful) than graphology or astrology (both of which I have seen used by local government personnel responsible for recruitment).

Obviously someone sending a CV in BBC "View" format says something about the sender.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Why? Surely 90%+ of all businesses use Word (blinking Bill gets everywhere), and while Open Office (for instance)can open DOC files I don't think Word can open ODF files. So it would seem to make sense to send any correspondence to companies as a DOC file.

Reply to
soup