Printer fault

Have a fairly old Cannon i865 printer. Only gets used for colour stuff as I have a mono laser too.

Was printing off a short instruction manual with some colour pics and the colour part was a bit streaky - and by the end of the printing no colour at all. Black still fine. Plenty colour ink in the tanks. Gave it a deep clean for colour a couple of times - and still not a hint of colour on the nozzle check.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is it the sort where the print head is built into a carrier which holds several ink tanks?

These can get clogged to the extent that even deep cleaning doesn't work. There are lots of you-tube videos about more drastic cleaning methods - involving hot water, isopropynol [sp?] or even dismantling the head/carrier.

I've had limited - but only limited - success with some of these methods, and finally had to give up and buy a new printer when they didn't work any more. [A new head/carrier would have cost more than a new printer!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

You can try more drastic cleaning, but I gave up after too many failures and wasted time. Just don't buy inkjet.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

+1.

hate the bloody things. Nothing but trouble and expense.

You can get a laser for a lot less than you can get a computer...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well at the risk of stating the obvious, something is obviously bunged up then. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Of course if its not one with the heaters in the carts, then one might suspect they are now dead in part of the print heat and hence the ink won't expand to come out the end.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Some of these refill cardridge shops will fix your printer for free. Just buy a refilled cartridge(s) of off them.

They have special tools for cleaning jets etc.

Reply to
harryagain

Would all three colour head clog up solid at exactly the same time?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The trouble is, although they work out cheaper per sheet, the cost of replacing all the toners in a single hit makes me wince - which reminds me mine is getting low :(

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I must admit that it sounds a bit odd. We lost yellow first, and then the others got iffy. But you did say that it went streaky before stopping. If it was an electronic failure, I would have thought that they would all have stopped suddenly, with no warning. But I could be wrong!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I suspect it might be that the liquid continuity between the head and the cartridges has dried up, so any ink that comes out of the head can't drag any more ink out of the cartridges by capillary attraction.

I would try putting globs of water both on the head and on the cartridge exit holes, then put the cartridges back. Better still use some suitable ink solvent instead of water.

Reply to
Dave W

unusual that all the colours failed at the same time were you using compatible ink? the print heads on these are a service item meaning that they have a limited lifespan, but unfortunately are no longer available lots of info on the net re unblocking but whatever you do don?t remove the PCB from the bottom of the head

is a good forum for all things Cannon inkjet I have an i865 ip4000 and ip4000R they all take the same print head Oh and be careful there are Chinese knockoffs of the Cannon QY6-0049 printheads on Ebay

-
Reply to
Mark

But why is it spam? Fix yer news reader! ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

One colour was about exhausted which could have accounted for the streaks.

I've no real idea how the drivers for the heads work - I was wondering if they could be similar to an LED numeric display where one 'power' transistor can feed several elements which are still switched separately.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you been using refilled cartridges?

Reply to
bert