Door lock problem

Is there a cheap solution to this?

My back door (double glazed PVU type) lock has decided no longer to work. Overnight it would appear that the handle will no longer pull the tongue far enough into the lock to release the door from the frame. When the handle is fully depressed the tongue stands about

2-4mm proud. I've taken the whole strip off the door (it's one with four other locking positions like many PVU doors) and tried to adjust the stay on the door frame but no luck.

Are these mechanisms standard as the locking barrel itself is easily removed if I can source another mechanism/strip of exactly the same size?

Reply to
b17

Dave Osborne

standard sizes, so you need to match all the important dimensions - length, offset, backset, centre distance between latch and lock, etc.

Is it the type with a removeable Euro cylinder[1] into which the Yale-type key fits, or does it have a conventional key which goes directly into the lock?

I'm under the impression that the multi-point bars are separate from the lock itself, so you may not need to replace those, but will need a version of the lock which has attachment points for them.

My starting point would be to remove the lock body and dismantle it, and try to work out what's gone wrong. It may just be that something has become deranged, and you might be able to get it working again. But hold it in a washing-up bowl or other suitable container when taking it apart to make sure that you don't lose any vital components!

[1] It's actually not a cylinder as such - the cross-section is the shape of a large keyhole.
Reply to
Roger Mills

It sounds like the internal locking mechanism, there are several different manufacturers of these mechanisms, Fullex, Ferco, Ucem, GU, Roto and KFV. You could try phoning

, their technician is on 01793 790 754, they should be able to advise you.

Reply to
Richard Head