Dome camera funnies

Whilst looking for something which I put in a safe place in my stocks(no. I didn't find it!). I found that somewhere in the past few years I had purchased a small dome CCTV camera. As one of my cameras was very old and not very sensitive, I decided to fit the dome camera in it's place. The theory was OK, but I found that the camera had interference patterning and vertical blooming when operating. I checked the operating voltage, it was a bit high, so hooked the unit up to my bench psu to see if this had any effect. No, over a range of 9 to 15V the behaviour was the same. Then by accident, I switched off the study lights and found that the interference patterning was apparently being caused by the CFLs radiating into the unscreened camera. Subsequent testing didn't remove all the vertical blooming effects, so I'm still looking into that. I replaced the old camera with a spare modern metal cased outdoor unit which I had in my stocks and it all worked OK. It appears that some plastic cased cameras can pick up radiated interference from CFLs and fluorescent lamps. Anybody else found this?
The PSUs required came from my stocks of it may be useful one day items!
On Friday, 10 June 2016 11:40:53 UTC+1, Capitol wrote:

An awful lot of people have found this. It's why we have RFI legislation.
NT

which came via the EU. The RA of the DTI didn't seem to know what to do.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 14:31:14 +0100

That must be some kind of record. In three lines, we have: PSUs RFI EU RA DTI
--
Davey.

for a record you need EP & LP.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 10/06/16 17:29, charles wrote:

Haha. That was good actually.

"Saki"
On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 17:49:55 +0100

Sudden thought: How many people reading this don't know what an EP or an LP is?
--
Davey.

Davey wrote:

Not many, we're all old!
On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 19:14:33 +0100, Capitol wrote:

Quite, we know how to actually do things. People too young to know about EPs or LPs don't and either throw things away and buy another or get an oldie in to fix it.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Unfortunately, the latter option is rarely used. Whatever it was, there is a newer, better one available now.
Meanwhile, we try to fix them, although I'm not sure where to start on a JVC version of a Walkman. It's too compressed...
- Davey.
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 00:33:43 +0100, Davey wrote:

know

another

FSVO of "better" none of the smart phone calendar or alarm apps I've tried come anything close to the useabily of those found on a Psion 5.

Most faults are not with the surface mount electonic guts but with the interface to the real world that the cack handed user has broken. Mind you the last few faults I've had have been down to poor manufacture, component not properly positioned when soldered so it moves and breaks the tracks or comes away after a little bit of use. Not that difficult to fix.
SMD Micro USB socket on Li battery back, can lugs had not taken solder properly and contacts came away from pads.
Through hole IDC connector in a modular socket not fully seated against board. First punch down pushes pad off board and breaks exteremely fine track.
--
Cheers
Dave.

78?
What did I win? ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 19:17:10 +0100

His Master's Voice?
--
Davey.

Shure, that would give me the needle. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Friday, 10 June 2016 21:52:37 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

That's your 2 grams worth, or is it 2 cents? Though for the record I get the feeling we're going round in circles.
NT

That's not a thought, it's a brain fart.

Very few given that almost everyone in here are old farts. Even the younger farts like Adam know what they are.
On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 17:29:58 +0100

Further up the thread, we have CFL and CCTV, but not EP or LP.
On the original subject, when I worked in industry, any two-way radio keyed near a Honeywell PID Controller would send it crazy, with corresponding effects on the process, which were usually in car factory paintshops. And I could not wear hearing aids in a room with lots of fluorescent lighting, the resulting buzz was far worse than loud tinnitus.
--
Davey.

On 10/06/2016 18:41, Davey wrote:

Never got that with Foxboro pneumatic PID controllers ;)
On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 20:10:00 +0100

There may be a reason for that...
--
Davey.

All you had to do was switch T mode off.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10