DIY space photos

Fascinating stuff - am looking forward to his website coming back onstream to have a good look.

I suppose I am a bit surprised that he's allowed to do it though. OK his camera has a parachute, but what happens if it fails - you've effectively got a techno-meteorite heading earthbound at very high speed. Is anyone checking that he's half-way competent to do this stuff? Not sure I'd be very keen if my next door neighbour was using this technique to photograph his house...

Presumably if the device travels so high, then there must be a pretty expansive area over which it might come down.

The description of the helium balloon being a meter in diameter at ground level, then expanding as it rises until it bursts, gives me an image of hooligans inflating dozens of weather balloons with helium, tying on a half-brick, then letting them all go over a city, just for kicks...

David

Reply to
Lobster

have a good look.

The Flickr images are wonderful, set your browser to full screen mode and run the images as a slideshow.

My favourite is a shot looking south over the Wash. Boston in the foreground, Norwich in the middle distance and Northern France in the background. It was fun to set Google Earth up to display roughly the same shot and switch between them.

Reply to
Graham.

Another brilliant DIYer

ARWadsworth

I would guess the chances of being hit by a falling camera are much the same as being hit by a natural meteorite - so not worth worrying about.

Well it does have onboard explosives... for the cut downs.

John Rumm

I always felt sorry for the hedgehog that ran across 6 lanes of the M1 and was killed by a 737 on the other side of the motorway at Kegworth.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adam Aglionby saying something like:

took. It's like being at a holiday slides show.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I'd love to do this myself. It has been done many times before, the HALO project is a good example

a fantastic HD video that Toshiba did with their Space Chair Project.

Rob Horton

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Rob Horton saying something like:

dishonest bastards. Fuck them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

FYI this guy's site is now back on line - well worth a visit:

(Get a load of this extraordinary panorama: )

David

Reply to
Lobster