diy smart multiway trailing socket.

<snip>

You probably haven't noticed (for good reason I'm sure) that I don't typically reply to any of these trolls?

I know enough about Shitheadxx to know that I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire (and 'shouting' ... ).

See above. Up to him poking his ignorant nose in (and me calling him out for the fun of it), this thread was polite and informative.

You are new here yes?

Well, my name and email are valid so ... ?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m
<snip troll shit>

(For the hard of thinking) When that is the case, can you accept it won't be wanted or accepted from you (no matter how confusing that is bound to be to you) and irrespective of how much Googling you have done on the subject?

<snip>

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I tend to replace any plug tops that come with anything likely to draw a reasonable load (1000W+) and especially for an extended period (like an electric heater) with MK ones (the rigid plastic jobs) as they don't seem to get as warm in use as some of the lighter / cheaper ones do. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Only when they provide supported facts you'd rather not read.

That says more about your love for fellow humans that you can possibly imagine.

It was until someone starting proffering abuse.

I think he will already have you down to a tee.

So still anonymous then.

Have you actually looked at: spaced.me.uk

And Nominet's entry: Nominet was not able to match the registrant's name and/or address against a 3rd party source on 15-Jan-2013

My name is valid too.

Reply to
Fredxx

No googling was required.

The links, showing a forum exchange of how writes to a SD card in a Raspberry Pi could be stopped, were in a series of personal emails with a colleague from some 18 months ago. The only search was the contents of my emails.

As I said, you need help and to love fellow mankind, however much you hate people who can justify their naturally healthy diet.

Yes, I accept you don't like reading facts you wish weren't true.

Reply to
Fredxx

Far from it, but I don't see why any sensible person would choose to interact with people online differently to how they interact face-to-face. However, this has nothing to do with DIY so no reply is needed as I won't be playing message ping-pong.

Reply to
nothanks
<snip troll shit>

OOI, will there ever be a point where it will dawn on you I really CGAF what *you* think or say about *anything*?

So, can I suggest you get yourself a life and stop trying to live one vicariously though me and mine?

I'll continue not responding to you and you offer me the same respect?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You must do, or you wouldn't have replied. You really didn't have to.

I only post to correct you, or add something I feel might be useful for others too. Like how stop any writes to a SD card in a Raspberry Pi.

I promise to the above. If you don't post anything I feel obliged to correct or I should add for the better good.

If you post nonsense like,

"Ah, just remembered, I think the RPi is not considered the best choice for a serious / long term system is that it runs on an SD and that's not good for long term writes?"

I will respond when with simply modifying a config file there are no more writes and so the SD card may well outlast the RPi.

Best killfile me, then you won't see corrections I'm obliged, for the better good, to correct.

Reply to
Fredxx
<snip cowardly troll s**te>

Right, so where do you think HA writes all the log / history / config files to then, volatile RAM or space? Or all the OS updates or HA updates (that happen pretty regularly).

And before you try to squirm out of it like you *always* do, we were talking SPECIFICALLY about running Home Assistant on a RPi here, nothing else.

So, I wonder what the chances are of an apology from you are, especially since you stated publicly that you give them out when they are due? I'm guessing none, because I was right and you are just a lying troll.

See above faceplanter. As usual you don't have an f'ing clue.

'You are obliged' ... listen to yourself FFS, who do you think you are??

No, you keep 'correcting me' and I will keep feeling sorry that you really can't see yourself for what you really are, a sad little troll. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

The truth hurts.

I don't know the details of your "Home Automation thing" setup.

However any writes to the SD don't haven, and the overlay file system is volatile and lost on power down.

You could stop the writing to the SD once you've setup your chosen defaults.

I'm not squirming, I was simply correcting your erroneous claim, "Ah, just remembered, I think the RPi is not considered the best choice for a serious / long term system is that it runs on an SD and that's not good for long term writes?"

It's also why I suggested an external SSD in a caddy connected to your USB port as an effective alternative to writing to an SD card if you want a long lasting system where writes are common place.

I apologise for correcting you when you're wrong. Will that do?

Sheesh, when was the last time you wrote code for the Pi, or wrote an application for Linux or Windows.

When you spout nonsense, yes I am obliged.

Yet you conform to all the attributes of a troll, someone who spouts nonsense as facts and doesn't like being corrected.

Now, how many trillion animals did you say are slaughtered every year?

Go and get help and killfile me and others you call trolls.

Reply to
Fredxx

On Thu, 25 Mar 2021 11:30:23 +0000, Fredxx snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk>

wrote: <snip troll distraction strawmen and s**te>

<snip more unread ... and I'll continue to do so>

Nope, just a straight apology for all the BS when your 'solution' wasn't relevant for *ANY* RPi HA installation. NO exceptions or provisos.

You stated publicly you apologise when you are wrong, so do it, or continue to be the disingenuous lying troll I believe you are.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If I did it would be a lie. The solution has already been used in a real installation. As I said, the Pi will probably give out before the SD card. Less corruption of the SD contents in the event of power failure too.

I apologise for you not understanding, "You do realise that the RPi can load from SD card and then no more writes. So no writing at all once the image is loaded onto the card".

where you replied, "Ok, explain *exactly* what you mean by that (knowing just how disingenuous you are on most things)".

Clearly I am wrong, and I truly and humbly apologise if this is not your preferred solution.

Now accept the following petition, so that geese can be reared with a unforced eating regime.

Since we are no longer a member of the EU, a ban is now achievable. Hooray on both counts. :-)

Reply to
Fredxx
<snip troll s**te>

Nope, not good enough. I don't need the 'humbly' bit because I know you are incapable of being such, so just a straight apology for trying to offer then convince me that your bogus solution would be any use what so ever for me and HA.

<snip more troll distraction>

You just_can't_do_it can you, making you the liar I said you were. What a shame, given you stated in public that you would always apologise when you were wrong.

That's probably pointless though, given you will never accept when you are wrong, even though all the facts that prove that you are.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Once again: If I did it would be a lie. The solution has already been used in a real installation. As I said, the Pi will probably give out before the SD card. Less corruption of the SD contents in the event of power failure too.

I apologise for you not understanding, "You do realise that the RPi can load from SD card and then no more writes. So no writing at all once the image is loaded onto the card".

where you replied, "Ok, explain *exactly* what you mean by that (knowing just how disingenuous you are on most things)".

Hardly a distraction, a means to show your true colours that you DGAS about animal welfare.

Oh I can, clearly I am wrong, and I truly apologise if this is not your preferred solution.

I left out the humbly specially for you.

Can you accept you didn't know "that the RPi can load from SD card and then no more writes. So no writing at all once the image is loaded onto the card"? Is that so hard to accept you prefer to snip the question in your reply?

Now, how many trillion animals did you say are slaughtered every year?

Go and get help and killfile me and others you call trolls.

Reply to
Fredxx
<snip troll s**te>

Well, that's a given ...

No you don't, you couldn't 'truly' anything because you don't have a soul.

No, it's not *the* 'preferred solution' for the vast majority of HA on RPi users so why did you think it would be mine? Answer, once again you 'assumed' and once again, got it wrong. Stop digging.

I didn't ask for your help, I didn't want your help and your 'help' was no help ... yet you arrogantly continue to welch on your public promise that you 'always apologise' when you were wrong. Your efforts so far make you a lying coward?

Prove me wrong by apologising properly.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

More home truths you don't like to hear.

Always for you.

That's not what I've been told. Animals are said not to have a soul by religious people. Since I don't believe I am immortal, I can't therefore have a soul.

DO you believe in some mythical deity like Father Christmas perchance?

I apologise for never saying it was your preferred solution.

I was merely correcting your assertion of "Ah, just remembered, I think the RPi is not considered the best choice for a serious / long term system is that it runs on an SD and that's not good for long term writes?", when for many where your claim simply isn't true.

If you require logging and are continuous changing the HA setup, then I can see it is no use to you. However my suggestion of using an external SSD drive is.

I have apologised, even when I was right. If you stopped snipping my apology it might assist.

I apologise for never saying it was your preferred solution.

Can you accept you didn't know "that the RPi can load from SD card and then no more writes. So no writing at all once the image is loaded onto the card"? Is that so hard to accept you prefer not to answer and snip the question in your reply?

Remind us, how many trillion animals did you say are slaughtered every year?

You need help.

Reply to
Fredxx
<snip>

And here is the left brainer arrogance again, something that then bit you on the arse.

Of course it is you stupid thick troll, especially for the RPi3b I happen to be currently using to host HA, assuming you aren't continuing the disingenuous / digging / squirming that is.

We were *SPECIFICALLY* talking about running HA on a RPi(3b) and running it (with all it's features intact) is not as well suited on the RPi as it is on several other options and *SPECIFICALLY* because

*they* don't rely on a uSD card to host the filesystem.

No, not *if*, it's the default setting / function so it would be an

*exception* not to use it like that.

I gave no indication whatsoever of not wanting any of the features that required a persistent fs. What I sated was the FACT that constantly writing to an SD card can / will cause it to fail at some point and sooner than the same level of activity on more suitable media.

Your solution was just as ineffective IRTW as your idea of campaigning for better animal welfare whilst still artificially breeding, unnaturally keeping, unnaturally feeding and killing them whilst still young ... compared to not doing *any* of that in the first place.

I'm not sure it is (on a PRi3b), not whilst maintaining a 'supported' system (and irrelevant to my statement at the time in any case). If I wanted to continue running HA on a RPi platform I'd go to a RPi4 (and I already have a couple [1]) but if I'm committing that sort of money I might as well go for the recommended solution of the Odroid N2+ (and was discussing that very point with the grown-ups before you came along).

So my statement about SD reliability and for my installation (as is) stands and your proper / honest apology is still outstanding.

No you haven't, you have only apologised 'with reservations'. Also, if you think you are right then you haven't learned / accepted anything have you and WTF are you apologising for?

But hey, you weren't to know I was running a standard system, if I

*needed* the full persistence in the FS as standard ... but you could have asked ... and *then* presented your solution ... but you didn't did you? <snip more trolling s**te and distractions>

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

If you were specifically talking about a Pi in a HA environment, then don't make general assertions that are nonsense.

Then you didn't need to reply with "Ok, explain *exactly* what you mean by that (knowing just how disingenuous you are on most things)" if you really wanted to remain in the ignorant state.

You come across as a fool. Best stop replying and continuing this as long as it takes for you to give up or I'll be calling you my stalker.

If you hadn't made the unqualified assertion, "Ah, just remembered, I think the RPi is not considered the best choice for a serious / long term system is that it runs on an SD and that's not good for long term writes?" I would have obliged to point out something you didn't know, namely is possible to use the SD card in a read only mode.

I doubt your HA application would be limited by High Speed USB speeds, that would be 60MB/s and most experienced users would suggest the useful sustainable speed would still be 30MB/s.

What for, for you ignorance in not knowing that it is possible to setup the RPi in a SD card read only system?

Ok then, I apologise for your ignorance. Will that do?

I apologise for showing your ignorance, and showing a gap in your extensive experience with RPis.

It was irrelevant to know what you were running because you made the unqualified assertion, "Ah, just remembered, I think the RPi is not considered the best choice for a serious / long term system is that it runs on an SD and that's not good for long term writes?"

Please do explain why you might need persistence beyond the initial setup.

LOL you really hate being reminded of the erroneous facts you so wish were true. Do remind us, how many trillion animals did you say are slaughtered every year?

Reply to
Fredxx
<snip troll s**te>

<snip loads more>

Whilst we (the adults, very much) were, it also covers any role where the RPi or *anything* *NEEDS* to constantly write to an SD card and that they don't last forever (fact) or as long as more suitable media. That *IS* a weakness of any device that relies on that sort of media for a live filesystem where regular / constant writes are necessary. Therefore, avoiding writing to the SD card is no solution to

*anything*.

So, again, either apologise for your ignorant and un requested assumptions or let everone see you are both a liar and a cowardly troll.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

And a request to explain why you might need persistence beyond the initial setup.

I know you won't be able to.

Agreed, but not all application need to be able to write to the SD card and can work again happily after reboot.

But as I showed you, writing to SD card is optional. A file system can be local and volatile, lost on reboot.

Then you have no imagination and talking through your arse. I was associated with an application that specifically required a long life and a volatile file system worked well. On reboot it simply ran the application and it worked.

You seem closed to ideas that don't fit your own limited experience.

I didn't make any assumption of your needs, my purpose was solely to correct your erroneous claim, namely, "Ah, just remembered, I think the RPi is not considered the best choice for a serious / long term system is that it runs on an SD and that's not good for long term writes?"

Clearly given your reply, "Ok, explain *exactly* what you mean by that (knowing just how disingenuous you are on most things)" you weren't aware of this feature.