DIY Smart Saw

Has anybody out there used the DIY Smart Saw? It looks intriguing, but I'm concerned about potential gotchas. It appears, for instance, that the act ual program resides on their computer, and you're at their mercy. How much do they charge for actually running the program? Any special requirements on the boring tool used? Any router, or a special, hard-to-find unit?

Any information would be appreciated.

Jack (Master of none)

Reply to
Jack F Altraydes

Never heard of it.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I would think $29 down the drain. It looks like a, I know a friend that built something and you can too.

Reply to
Leon

Jack F Altraydes wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Run. For goodness sake, RUN!

For our dedicated readers (and not some shell account designed to drive traffic to their site), it looks like a DIY wooden CNC machine. There's several designs out there for this, and many of them use industry standard software like Mach3 to run. You're better off using one of those designs than anything stored non-locally.

The cloud has its uses, but storing 300 kb G-code files is not one of them!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

The "saw" allegedly takes as little as $160USD (used) or as much as $500USD (new), to build. Either way, that's pretty dang cheap, considering what we are talking about, here. ;)

With a couple o' tweaks, I would think you can use whichever software you prefer:

hmmmm...... I've been parting out a printer. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob