DIY physics (thus, on topic)

I think Rutherford would have liked this:

Tim Streater

Nice !

There are quite a few sciencey vids on Twitter ... last one I saw was a saxophonist who found a c. 150m pipeline to play into. Obviously there was about 1s echo delay which they then harmonised with.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

The extra toothpicks shifted the centre of gravity of the system so it was right under the edge of the table. No problem.

Reply to
Max Demian

Umm. Not my discipline but isn't this a simple compression strut with the outward horizontal thrust balanced by friction at the table top?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hmm. Now try the same set up with a couple of extra tooth picks able to provide a free rolling surface at the table top.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

That theory might work is string wasn't bendy!

Reply to
Roger Hayter

No!

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

You can do the same trick with a G-clamp hung on the edge of a table for the same reason. The centre of gravity has been moved from the "normal" position to one under the table. Good demo though.

Reply to
harry

Both are correct.

Reply to