Angle grinding!

Any reportable experience of slotting aged coarse tarmac with an angle grinder? Probably 50mm or so thick on hardcore.

I want to let in some sloping concrete edging blocks to retain loose crushed granite forming our drive and parking area. Perhaps 25mm rising to 50mm.

I have 225mm and 300mm diamond blades or plenty of stone cutting 225mm abrasive discs. The big one has a water feed.

What do the road menders use?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Give the grinder a rest every now and then ... I was cutting across the width of a driveway, similar about 2" of tarmac, with my old B&Q 9" grinder and a diamond disc ... got about 95% of the way across and it let the smoke out.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Don't know for sure. I've seen the water board people cutting out a square of tarmac before digging a hole - using a petrol driven device with a cutting wheel. Might be a brick saw. Can't remember whether they keep the cut wet. [If they're digging to fix a water leak, it happens automatically anyway!]

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well for what its worth, some of the diamond discs I have bought claim to be suitable for tarmac.

Reply to
John Rumm

Roger Mills presented the following explanation :

They use water to cool the disk/cut and stop the tarmac from melting, becoming sticky.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

One might have expected a thermal cut out long before self destruct mode. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

In message , Harry Bloomfield

Reply to