dishwasher problem

Hi,
I've rather stupidly put dishwasher detergent in the salt container. I poured loads in before I realised what I was doing. The detergent seems to have partially dissolved in the water of the salt container, with a slight scum on top.
I haven't tried anything for fear of making it worse. Any ideas?
James
     snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes:

I don't know if it will harm the ion exchange resin in the water softener, but I would assume it might in the absence of any firm information to the contrary. The brine from the salt container is only washed into the ion exchange resin at a certain point in the wash cycle (tyically near the end, but that might vary in different machines as it doesn't matter when it's done), so providing you haven't run the system, it probably hasn't done any harm yet. You could probably syphon the salt container empty and rinse out a number of times by refilling with water and emptying again, and the detergent will probably not get anywhere where it might do any harm.
--
Andrew Gabriel

writes:

I'd suggest dropping the outlet hose to the floor or at least below the front of the "well" of the dishwasher. Then use a garden hose in the salt filler point to flush out the chamber of the offending detergent.
On 28 May 2005 03:41:36 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Personally, I'd try flushing it out with a garden hose or shower attachment.
sponix