Dishwasher seizing problem

I have a dishwasher where the main pump doesn't always start. I've checked and typically the impeller creeps round but doesn't always run up to speed.

Essentially the drag on the moving seal is too high.

I have tried Vaseline and the pump worked for a period of time reverting back to its old tricks.

I then tried the opposite and cleaned the seal in detergent with initially good results but again the drag went back to normal.

Any ideas? Is there a recommended lubricant? Would a new seal solve any problem?

Reply to
Fred

maybe a faulty capacitor for the induction motor driven pump

Peter

Reply to
Peter

The pump out motors are usually shaded pole motors, and don't have a capacitor.

Dishwasher detergent does nasty things to ball bearings, if it's ever leaked up the shaft into the motor bearings. I've had exactly same symptoms with the main pump motor caused by a leaky seal letting a small amount of water through which found its way into the motor bearings.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The bearings are fine. In fact when running it sounds quite sweet with only a faint whistle from the fan on the motor. The staring torque on the motor is quite good.

The problem is friction of the seal itself which is a axially (longitudinally) sprung (black) plastic to (white) plastic "seal". The surfaces are quite smooth. If I remove the impellor the motor spins by hand, yet when I refit the impellor and seal, the impellor becomes quite difficult to turn.

Reply to
Fred

The OP said main pump not drain pump !

Peter

Reply to
Peter

This is a motor fault nothing to do with seals in 25years I have never had a problem with seals

Peter

Reply to
Peter

OK, so I can't read...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

This must be a first. It's quite stiff to turn by hand. Initially it was seized and I managed to free it by moving the impeller along the shaft releasing some of the force on the seal. Naturally when I tightened the impellor up some of the siffnes returned making for unrelaible starting.

The motor is an induction motor with quite respectable starting torque but obviously nothing like a brushed or commutated motor.

Reply to
Fred