Dishwasher Water Exhaust Problem

Two weeks ago, our year-old Frigidaire dishwasher stopped draining; it left a big pool of dirty water in the bottom after the full cycle and didn't get the dishes clean. During the drain part of the cycle, it made a vibrating noise, as if the exhaust pump were running but with no water in it, just air.

I removed the water; the plastic filter which covers the well at the bottom wasn't clogged. I removed the filter and there was nothing blocking the exit port at the right side of the well. I pulled the machine out of the cabinet and took the exhaust pump and lines apart. When apart but connected to power, the impeller blades spun well. There was no blockage between the exit port in the well and where the tube connects to the sink's waste line. I put it back together and it worked perfectly. I figured that maybe it just wanted some attention.

Two weeks later, the bottom is again filled with dirty water and the pump makes an empty, vibrating sound during the exhaust part of the cycle. I'd rather not take the darn thing apart every two weeks. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Most have a drain valve operated by a solenoid. Could be that the solenoid is going bad and the vibrating noise could be the magnet going in and out. You'd probably have to drag it out again to replace it but take a look to see if it is accessible from the front.

FWIW,. air exhausts, water drains.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sometimes the routing of the drain line can effect its performance. What I'm thinking about, if the line does not go up high, and then downhill to the sink drain piping, you can get blow flow into the DW. Check with your manufactures instructions on how to route the drain line, once there, secure it so it doesn't slip back down. Wire tires, etc.

Just a guess....

tom @

Tom The Great

This machine is really weird. It has a check ball which keeps the water focused on the sprayer arm by riding up and down a ramp. Not sure how this works as the ball doesn't float in water. See

The machine is a Frigidaire FBD710LCB1, which cannot be found by a Google search.

There is apparently no drain valve; drainage seems to be accomplished by the pump changing rotational direction. I think I'll try hitting it with a hammer; if that doesn't work, I'll buy a new dishwasher, which is cheaper than getting it repaired.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

Thanks for the info. Have you tried just getting a professional to check it? Give him/her a cap on what you want to spend fixing this one, so you don't spend more than just bying a new one installed.

Just an idea....

tom @

Tom The Great

Reply to