Bosch dishwasher problem

Our slimline dishwasher keeps telling us that it needs salt. Spouse has filled it and checked it and it still tells us that it needs salt.
Anyone any ideas? Please don't suggest that Spouse is mistaken :-)
Mary

I don't put salt in my Miele dishwasher anymore. You don't have to with the new 5 in 1 tabs that are out.
RedOnRed wrote:

On the Bosch ranger there is the option to turn off the salt light, if you use the tablets containing salt. Whats what i did.
--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .

How?
And our dishwasher isn't a recent model ...
Mary

Could you please explain how the salt from the tablets gets into the regenerator in the water softener?

With the new tablets, the salt/water softener additive is within the tablet itself. Which means unless your water is exceptionally hard you don't have to add salt any more. That's despite the add salt warning light being illuminated.

Ah, so it's water softener as well as/instead of salt. You didn't say that.
I'm not convinced. How does it soften all the various stages of water, I wonder? Are there layers of softener in the tablet?
They're also rather more expensive...

I'm not sure if it has water softener as well as salt in the tablet. What I meant is that it has an additive in the tablet which means you no longer need to use salt. Whether it's actual salt or a salt substitute I don't know, but either way its function is as a water softener.

Fairy nuff.
The thing is, it isn't actually salt that does the water softening. That's merely there to recharge the softener, and there is no connection between the softener and the main 'water area'. So actual salt in the tablets has no effect on the softness of the water (but will make it salty!)
Perhaps someone will explain what DOES happen...

Didn't you learn at school?
:-)
Mary
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:30:29 UTC, "Mary Fisher"

I learned that salt doesn't soften water. And dishwashers hadn't been invented!

Briefly, salt dissolves the lime in the water - by ion exchange in the softener.

Well, there were mothers around, surely?
Mary
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:20:42 UTC, "Mary Fisher"

But the salt doesn't do the softening,. That's my point. It merely recharges the ion exchange system, usually at the start of a cycle. That's why I don't see how salt in the wash water can soften the water.

The salt doesn't go into the wash water :-)
Mary
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:38:10 UTC, "Mary Fisher"

It does if it's only in the tablets. Which was my original point.

Sorry, if I saw the word 'tablet' I switched off I guess. I don't know anything about them.
Mary

Many tablets claim to have a "salt action". The question is whether this is a discrete water softening system that replaces the ion exchange system built into the dishwasher, or whether it's just salt - which can't possibly work as it never gets near the softening device to recharge[1] it.
[1] Well, discharge, really - it's full of all the wrong sorts of ions when it's been used and they need to be flushed out.
--
Skipweasel

So how does it get from the tablet into the water-softener then? The softener is upstream of the washing compartment.
--
Skipweasel

This is exactly my point, but Mary either hasn't read the start of the thread, or she's forgotten.
contains these words:

Ahem! Mary STARTED the thread :-)
It went its own way ...
Mary